Author Topic: Building the Vine Maple Bow - Finished  (Read 121724 times)

Offline RBLusthaus

Re: Building the Vine Maple Bow - Finished
« Reply #165 on: August 10, 2015, 12:25:02 pm »
Nicely done and thank you for the time you put into these buildalongs.  Russ   

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #166 on: August 10, 2015, 01:37:14 pm »
Another great buildalong, and very fine vine maple bow, Gordon. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline nakedfeet

• AJD Archery & Outdoors
« Reply #167 on: August 10, 2015, 01:47:12 pm »
I now feel thoroughly inadequate.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2015, 01:11:08 am »
Thank you all for the really great comments - I'm so pleased that this build-a-long has been so well received.

Nakedfeet, no need to feel inadequate. The purpose of this thread is to give folks the confidence to build a bow like this. It is not that difficult if you take your time with it.

Again, thank you all so much.
Gordon

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2015, 06:04:49 am »
Another beautiful Bow Gordon, thanks for taking us along. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Sockrablur

« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2015, 07:57:24 am »
Thank you Gordon, amazing build! Loved all the photos, it really helps understand. Your an artful craftsman sir. Well done

Offline ptaylor

« Reply #171 on: September 01, 2015, 12:31:04 pm »
That's great Gordon! I have a vine maple stave roughed out in my woodshop, and when I get around to working on it I'll be looking through this thread again and again. Great information. Thanks for sharing this!

Preston

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #172 on: September 24, 2015, 10:36:08 pm »
Yet another great build along Gordon.  I learned a lot from this one as well as your hazel bow.  That is for thanking the time to do this.

Offline Billinthedesert

« Reply #173 on: November 10, 2015, 07:58:39 pm »
Gordon, I was hoping to find a new buildalong here, and lo and behold, vine maple. Thank you so very, very much.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #174 on: November 21, 2015, 09:37:45 am »
Another great build-a-long.Very nice and ooodles of pictures to boot.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #175 on: January 07, 2016, 12:18:22 am »
Very helpful Gordon.  I now have the confidence to tiller my 4 1/2" reflex yew stave.  VM is pretty forgiving wood so is it safe to assume that following this process should work on yew? 
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline IsaacC

« Reply #176 on: April 22, 2016, 02:59:28 pm »
Hello Gordon,

May you please explain to me the reason that the bow will start to set as you tiller it if you haven't taken enough off the belly? If this has to do with the thickness of the limb and the characteristics of the wood, it seems like this would limit the draw weight of the bow. How can you increase draw weight possibilities and avoid set in the limbs? Increase limb length is my thought...

Thank you, I am thoroughly impressed by the intricacy and efficiency of your work.

Isaac C.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #177 on: April 22, 2016, 03:41:23 pm »
Vine maple is unusual in that it has a tendency to curl into reflex when a stave is split and dried. My theory is that the wood cells on the tension side are actually contracting as they dry and by working the bow you are reducing reflex by stretching the tension cells as opposed to compressing the cells on the belly. Of course, at some point, the cells are stretched as far as they will go and if you are not careful the bow will begin to take set.
Gordon

Offline IsaacC

« Reply #178 on: April 22, 2016, 05:52:17 pm »
Vine maple is unusual in that it has a tendency to curl into reflex when a stave is split and dried. My theory is that the wood cells on the tension side are actually contracting as they dry and by working the bow you are reducing reflex by stretching the tension cells as opposed to compressing the cells on the belly. Of course, at some point, the cells are stretched as far as they will go and if you are not careful the bow will begin to take set.

Thank you, that makes sense. If stretched too far the fibers would yield. When the thickness is decreased, the moment is lessened on the outer fibers.

Do you have a rule of thumb for draw weight vs limb length (or width)? It seems like the only way to go higher in draw weight would be to go longer (less stress on the limb).

Offline Gordon

« Reply #179 on: April 23, 2016, 08:21:06 pm »
Isaac, I have made a lot of vine maple bows and I generally have a pretty good feel for the proper proportions when I start a bow. But I haven't tried to work out a formula. What kind of bow are you trying to make?
Gordon