Author Topic: Handle cordage wrap material?  (Read 7467 times)

Offline Willibow

Handle cordage wrap material?
« on: July 06, 2015, 04:19:37 pm »
Howdy folks,

I wrapped the handle of my current obsession last night in tan 550 para cord. I'm not too happy with the way it came out because the cordage almost increases the diameter of the grip too much and I've terminated it by wrapping over the tails, making for an even bigger bump where the tails are under the wrap.

This is likely the result for two reasons
1) I suck at wrapping grips.
2) 550 is too large of diameter for my liking.

I can't do much about item 1 except keep practicing, but I can ask this great pool of knowledge about what types of materials you've had good luck with for handle wraps.

So, what have you used and liked, disliked, etc?

Thanks!
Lord, grant me the courage to attempt this bow build.
The strength to pull it to full draw.
And the wisdom to listen to the wood.
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline PaulN/KS

Re: Handle cordage wrap material?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2015, 05:08:26 pm »
I've had good luck with the thin hemp cord that is available at craft stores and also jute cord. With both I wrap it on like you would serve a bow string and then paint it with some TB3 glue that's been thinned a bit with water.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 06:03:13 pm »
I do the same as Paul but I saturate the hemp cord(from WalMart) wrap with Massey finish, 2ton epoxy thinned with acetone. I use a rolled up paper towel and dab the wrap until it is saturated all over. Once it's cured out a light sanding will remove any roughness. You get an all weather, positive grip.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Willibow

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2015, 06:07:02 pm »
Good idea with the cordage soaked in glue or epoxy. I was wondering how to handle the cordage when it starts to fray and look like crap (as 550 is prone to do when it wears). Any other novel or different methods or materials?
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2015, 06:09:24 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,39604.0.html
leather isn't that hard, it's easier to me than all that wrapping
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Willibow

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 06:19:10 pm »
Thanks Bubby. I have done a few rough leather handles, but they were all on bendy handle bows with smooth grips. This one has a static grip with some curves so I was scared of leather. I might have to try that trick of using tape to make a blank. Super good idea!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2015, 07:40:53 pm by Willibow »
-- Bowyers prayer

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2015, 06:45:12 pm »
Jute coated in TB3 for me. Just the right diameter. A spool costs about $3 and wraps dozens of handles. Lots of colors to choose from too.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline JohnL

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2015, 10:50:30 pm »
     When I first started making bows, they all got a leather or suede wrapped grip, laced-up on the back.  Then I switched over to wrapping the handle with thin leather lace, or suede lace and I love it.  It is decidedly more work, but it feels so good in the hand and looks cool, too.  I suppose one could just dry-wrap the lace around the grip, but I paint on TB-III as I go along, so it's all permanently bonded on and can't come loose.  The material I like to use is either 1/8" wide or 3/32" wide, and about 1/16" thick (flat) suede lace.  It comes in every color (I'm partial to the chocolate & dark brown shades) and can be found at the craft/hobby stores.
     I also like to reduce the handle thickness down a little extra–keeping it flat on the belly side–then glue a layer of cork to the back & belly sides of the handle and use coarse sandpaper to sculpt it round.  Once done, I paint a sizing coat of TB-III over the corked area to seal and strengthen it, before wrapping it with the suede lace.  This process makes such a comfy grip and likely also reduces shock in the hand.
     My other choice of wraps is #10 or #20 twisted hemp cord (thread), glued down in the same fashion as above, but I also paint it down with a finish coat of TB-III.  I like this option for the really primitive-looking character bows, where a fancy grip doesn't look the part.

–John

Offline Willibow

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 11:21:40 pm »
Awesome suggestions guys. I really like the idea of using the cork to reduce hand shock. This bow needs it since I heat treated in some reflex!
-- Bowyers prayer

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2015, 02:24:25 am »
Cork will not reduce handshock  ;D
I use thin jute thread (the thin bit is important!) do as the others do with TB3 and any furry bits that stick up at the end I simply burn off with a lighter, then give it a quick dab with a bit more glue.
Handles done like this are great.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2015, 03:27:03 am »
Yeah , but if you clench the cork between your teeth, it doesn't feel so bad :o ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2015, 10:19:55 am »
I like hemp wrapped handles finished with a couple coats of shellac soaked in it.

Offline sleek

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2015, 10:44:10 am »
I am a fan of hemp also.... soaked in  tight bond III. It works, feels, and looks great.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2015, 12:03:29 am »
Yeah , but if you clench the cork between your teeth, it doesn't feel so bad :o ;)
Del
Dammit Del!  You made me choke on my coffee on that one....   :laugh:
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2015, 12:27:14 am »
Pope used thin braided fishing line. That's a good option.
 Personally I prefer a bare handle. A good well balanced axe or hammer needs no grip and neither does a bow really.