Author Topic: Traditional Event, Vejen (Denmark) 26-27 June (pic heavy)  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Holten101

Traditional Event, Vejen (Denmark) 26-27 June (pic heavy)
« on: July 07, 2015, 08:53:24 am »
I should be posting some bows, or some newly finished arrows. But realizing that my newest bows and arrows looks like things I have posted before, I decided to post something else. A weekend with friends, real bows (mostly) and real arrows (mostly) at this years traditional event (Vejen Traditionaltræf) in Denmark.

The Vejen Traditional Event is one of too few 3D events in Denmark that caters to the traditional wooden bows and arrows “segment” It’s a two day event in a relaxed atmosphere, with a session of informal shooting at a flying foam goose, suspended clay pigeons and a Robin Hood competition on day one (Saturday) and a more traditional 3D competition on day two (Sunday).  Saturday was, of cause, topped off with barbecue, bonfire and plenty beer/wine and a chance to discuss wooden bow with like minded people.

Lining up. My patrol sported two young ace archers….cudos to Rasmus (grey hat) for passing on the torch to his sons.

Jon with his, annoyingly perfect;-), snake skinned yew flatbow (this bow won the “Most Beautiful Bow” ballot vote…deservingly).  This bow seems to be as fast and forgiving as most glass backed bows.

Rasmus shooting his 10 year old yew bow (this guy practice bow monogamy like no one else). The Vejen 3D range includes shots from stands, uphill - and downhill shots as well as shots into woods and from wood to open field.

Downhill shot (and miss if I recall correctly;-) by me. The Elm Hjarnø bow and hassle shot arrow combination proved quite capable.

Me trying to catch up with Jon (his arrow pretty much mark the spot).

Two yew bows by the same bowyer.

The course included some hard shots. This hare was at the end of a narrow corridor of trees, 28m away.
Weather was awesome and the woods was like standing inside a green explosion

Jon with his yew flat bow. The combination of rattlesnake, moderate character and beaver tail grip works really well on this bow. I wish it was differently, but its my arrow at his fingers and his 15 cm below.

These guys and gals fling arrow like the best. Interest in traditional archery has definitely been sparked in these juniors. Informal 3D events like Vejen Traditional is a great way to show youngsters that there is a world of archery outside FITA.

Rasmus (left) made 4th, but Jon (right) was unbeatable that Sunday. I had to stay out of top 4 so that pictures could be taken;-).

Thanks for watching

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Traditional Event, Vejen (Denmark) 26-27 June (pic heavy)
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 08:59:02 am »
Great pictures.  Looks like a fun event and good to see all the youngsters shooting.  Thanks for posting this.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 09:43:15 am »
Thanks for posting this, Holten. I love seeing archery events from all over the world and especially with real bows and real arrows.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 09:48:59 am »
Cool...thanks for sharing.  :)

Offline JonW

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 10:01:07 am »
Looks like a good time was had by all. Thanks for the post. BTW I like your bow.

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 01:35:21 pm »
Looks like a ton of fun.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline chamookman

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 04:24:08 am »
Enjoyed the pictures - Thanks ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 04:32:34 am »
Looks like a good time,thanks for the pictures.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Patches

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 09:56:04 am »
Yes, thank for posting your photos. Cool to think that there are groups of people getting together in Denmark that are almost identical to our get togethers here, getting together to shoot our bows and passing it on to the kids.  Traditional bowyers are definitely a global community. 

Neal 
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 11:10:53 am »
Thanks for posting the pictures. It looks like folks were having a good time and the shots looked challenging. Always good to see the young kids getting involved as well.

A question;  Are you allowed to hunt with bows in Denmark?

Offline Holten101

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 12:10:11 pm »
Thanks for watching all:-)

@Paul....yes we are (fortunatly:-). We have to take theoretical and a practical test though. The pratical part of the test is borderline trivial with a moderne compound bow....but VERY hard with traditional gear. There are about 1500 active licenses (each licens have to be renewed by passing the test every 5th year) and out of those there is only a dozen who have passed with traditional gear.

Its so hard to pass, that one of our regular national team 3D longbowmen failed renewing his this spring.

To pass the test the bow used have to yield 40 joules with fixed blades and 70 joules with mechanical blades.

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 03:23:56 am by Holten101 »

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2015, 09:00:56 am »
 I am glad to hear that you can bow hunt in Denmark. It is unfortunate that the government has made it so difficult for traditional archers to participate.