Author Topic: Philip Churchill Memorial  (Read 1896 times)

AncientTech

Philip Churchill Memorial
« on: July 11, 2015, 01:14:48 am »
http://www.pugetsoundknappers.com/interesting_stuff/Phil_Churchill_Art.html

I greatly cherished my correspondences with Philip Churchill.  He was able to shed a great deal of light on my earlier experiments. 

(Text deleted)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 03:37:19 pm by AncientTech »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Philip Churchill Memorial
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 01:25:07 am »
And all of your research is still a Big Mystery. ::)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Hopewell point

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 08:55:48 am »
Maybe you could show us the correspondence you had with Philip.....

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 12:08:56 pm »
I like how you take credit for his knapping prowness, when i saw the title i didn't think the post was all about you, massive ego bro
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

AncientTech

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2015, 02:10:22 pm »
Here is my last correspondence with Philip:

Philip Churchill <philflintstone@YXXXX.com
3/26/14

I'm sorry I haven't responded lately, Ben. I've been so involved with my parents that I haven't had time. My stepmother went into hospice last Thursday and will soon pass away, probably sometime today. I have finished getting the funeral arrangements in place for when that happens. My father says he no longer has any reason to live and wants to go to Heaven with my stepmother. He has gotten so weak that I don't expect him to live much longer anyway. He will probably go within a month or so.

Will get back to you when things settle down.

I responded:

Benjamin Eble <benjamxxxxxx@gmail.com
3/26/14

Hello Philip,

I completely understand.  Since this will probably be the last time that you are able to spend time with your parents, please make the best of it. 

Sincerely,

Ben"

Eight weeks later, he would be gone. 

Philip and I corresponded for years, I think since the fall of 2011.  He was immensely interested in Native American flintknapping.  He was interested in all of my experiments.  He wanted to carry out his own experiments, based on the "boatload of information" that he had become aware of.  But, he was overloaded with Danish dagger orders.  Then, towards the end, his parents needed to be put into a nursing home.  So, when he was able to, he weighed in on my own experiments.  At times we both struggled to understand things that just seemed impenetrable, with regard to certain records.   

As excited as he was, he just did not make it to see the good stuff.  We knew that we were on to something.  But, when he passed away, there were still many hurdles to overcome. 

This is what Philip would have wanted to see:

Outrepasse reduction with typical deer tine flaker:

Naturally, I look at my work with sadness when I realize that the person who showed the most interest in Native American flintknapping, died before the experiments, and research, came to fruition.  Still, the trail remains intact for others.  It is all in the records.

Also, many of the really important correspondences - including two very personal letters he sent in 2011 - were wiped out, when my Paleoplanet account was deleted.  Fortunately, many of the technical observations still stand out in my mind. 

Generally, Philip could explain things in terms of a flintknapper's point of view, and then in terms of some types of archaeological data.  He was well read. 

On one occasion, he surprised me by saying that no one would believe that a particular flaking I had made had been made via "antler".  He said that people would think that it had been made via copper.  When I asked "why", he said that it was because the initiation was really small, but the flake extremely expansive.  He said that it would easily pass for copper percussion.     

His death also really took me by surprise because I believe he had become concerned about his health, and had shed maybe thirty pounds, or so.  He was on a strict diet, and doing really well with the weight loss...  It seems unfair that the person who was the most interested in all of this never got to see it...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 02:21:46 pm by AncientTech »

Offline Ghost Knapper

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2015, 03:30:08 pm »
Why do you think the flake crumbled? the way it did? Im not surprised by the chalky area but the last section of the flake breaking into 3 pieces is intriguing.

AncientTech

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 06:55:01 pm »
Ghostknapper,

I cannot give you a good answer.  I can only guess. 

Basically, you are looking at something that is outside the realm of known descriptions, and study.  It involves the combination of many different types of flintknapping forces, all with different types of attributes, all linked together in a process.   

The fragmentation might have to do with the thinness of the stone, coupled with really intense energy.  Again, that is a shot in the dark answer, at best.

Here are some similarly related flakes, that show less shatter, and that also tend to be thicker.  They are made in a prior stage, before the overshot stage, from the same umbrella technology.

I would have to lean towards thinness, and energy, as being the culprits. 

Another possibility could relate to the way that the force is delivered to the stone, or imparted into the stone, in terms of contact area. 

Ben