Author Topic: Photos: Ancient Overshot on Montell/Pedernales points versus modern overshot  (Read 1349 times)

AncientTech

Here is a comparison between overshots both ancient, and new. 

The ancient overshots were made on points that were probably fashioned between 1000 B.P, and 3000 B.P, while the modern overshot (and coast to coast flakes) were made more recently, in 2015, with a common deer tine, in raw chert.

VOTE NOW:  If you don't think that there is any resemblance between the old, and the new, then just shout, "NAYYY",  as loud as you can, in caps lock, to indicate that you see no resemblance at all. 

Ancient:

Ancient:

Modern overshot made with deer tine, in raw chert:

I apologize for only creating one overshot flake, next to three coast to coast flakes.  As the gurus have probably already realized, the overshot flake was stacked in my favor, from the outset, with regard to at least one variable.   

Now, if you do not see any similarity between my overshot flaking, and the ancient overshot flaking, then please type "NAYYY" as loudly as possible.  Don't worry, I won't curse anyone for using cap locks.  Feel free to use the cap locks.  (Also, if you don't agree with the premise that the two types of flaking do not look similar, then you can always type, "YAY".)