Author Topic: what justifies a price of 600 for this type of bow?  (Read 13715 times)

Offline Predictable

what justifies a price of 600 for this type of bow?
« on: July 14, 2015, 08:24:08 pm »
http://www.3riversarchery.com/Product.asp?show=rate&i=2390X

just curious to hear what you have to say about the price compared to the bow being sold.

im not saying anything about how much it should be sold for, i just wanna hear your thoughts.

Offline Chadwick

• Knock off everything that ain't a bow.
    • Primal Archery
Re: what justifies a price of 600 for this type of bow?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2015, 08:28:58 pm »
Long-standing brand, shootable design, many high-star reviews. I always say we should spend what we can afford, and trust that the universe will line up price with quality. (this does NOT always work, but I'll keep my ideals)
Nothing flying, Nothing dying

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2015, 08:52:08 pm »
Black Widow gets 1200.00 + for their bows and many people believe in them.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 09:06:19 pm »
Anyone that's made enough bows knows how many hours going into them.

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 09:06:58 pm »
I paid $600 for a used centaur when I first got into traditional archery.  A buddy had it and let me shoot it, it was sweet!  I killed 10 or so deer with it, won several 3d tournaments, bought another custom bow and quit shooting the centaur..  5 years after I bought it I sold it for $550, best shooting bow I ever had in my hands..

I don't regret buying it or selling it..  I'm just glad it's no longer a wallhanger...

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 09:29:46 pm »
The Savannah is highly reviewed and Martin's flagship longbow. You're paying for top quality materials, craftsmanship, guarantees, reputation, finish, and performance. That's not an uncommon price at all for a mass produced flagship. Look at some of the higher end Bear longbows. The Bear Patriot for example is right up there in the $600 range. Howard Hill's stock bows (don't think these are mass produced) are in the $600 range. Nothin too unusual when custom bows are $1,000+
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 09:30:30 pm »
Nothing justifies it to me. It is a machine made bow. As far as I'm concerned not even a hand laid bow is worth $600...but that's just me.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 09:34:42 pm »
That was pure poetry right there Pat. Amen!
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline RyanR

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2015, 09:53:20 pm »
I bought a savanna years ago new for $400. It's a good bow.  It's a smooth shooter.

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2015, 10:04:38 pm »
materials + (hours x pay) + overhead = cost. I always wonder how much of other peoples' prices are overhead. I like to think I'm not wasting my time but I don't have to put a $450+ price on anything I make to cover my cost so I really do wonder.

There's always something to fix or replace, miscellaneous expenses, and ultimately a business is about profit no matter how much someone loves their job.  Supply and demand do a relatively clean job in Archery as far as I've seen. If nobody demanded the bow at that price supply would be too high, meaning either production would slow/stop and become a financial liability or the price would drop to raise demand.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline okie64

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 10:07:26 pm »
I have one also. Bought it 7 or 8 years ago and have killed a few deer with it. They are good bows, smooth and quiet. There are a few custom bowyers that will build you a bow in that price range if you'd rather go that route.

owlbait

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 10:20:54 pm »
Price is TOOO high for a mass produced bow. Plenty of bowyers build custom bows for the same or less. On another note, if it's not a primitive bow.....?

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 10:54:04 pm »
For a mass produced factory bow, it isn't worth it TO ME...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 02:48:04 am by Joec123able »
I like osage

Offline Gordon

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2015, 11:46:24 pm »
It's worth whatever people are willing to pay for it.
Gordon

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 12:01:48 am »
     I had a funny experience with this particular bow...  My good friend Jimmy shoots one and has taken deer with it.  We were target shooting one day and swapped bows for a few shots.  I was shooting a recurve that cost less than 140.00 brand new.  I liked the savannah okay - it's a good bow.  Jimmy was quite taken with the samick sage that I was shooting.  He ordered one for himself and hunts with it now and his more expensive bow hangs on the wall.   
     I am a function over form kind of guy.  I haven't seen a bow that was worth more than three hundred dollars to me.  To each his own.  If you like a beautifully finished work of art that you plan on handing down to your kids and you want to drop some serious coins for it, that is all good.  I won't knock it.  I admire all you folks that are devoted to real archery.  I will say that it is possible to pay a lot of money for bow that isn't right for you. 
     I make bows and give one away from time to time, if I think someone is deserving of a handmade selfbow.   If I were in the business of selling bows - hell yeah, they should cost a lot of money.  I couldn't sell my bows and make a living at it.  Somebody on here (JW maybe ?) said "it would be easier to feed your family on pickled hummingbird tongues" than to make a living selling handmade bows.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi