Author Topic: what justifies a price of 600 for this type of bow?  (Read 13714 times)

Offline Traxx

Re: what justifies a price of 600 for this type of bow?
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2015, 12:03:46 am »
to me,there aint a bow in this world,worth 600 dollars,but then again,my old friend nicknamed me,tightwad Todd fer a reason. :)

Offline bow101

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2015, 12:41:29 am »
Those Black-tail bows are quite fancy.  $600 is a lot to pay for any bow I agree.  There are many art pieces made from wood that fetch a pretty penny like Guitars, violins, pianos and the list goes on.  Maybe $1500 for a bow is justified never mind $600.   ???
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2015, 12:50:24 am »
  Before I started building selfbows I've paided over $600.00 for recurves I've paided 1100.00 for long bow once. Come to think about it I like to have all the 1000's I spent on recurves,long bows compounds boy that was a time ago.

I once sold a osge snake bow with copperhead skins on it for $ 628.00 and a drop point knife $600.00 for a factory glass bows not that all unfair.

If you were the one building it I'm sure $600 a fair price.

It all comes down to how much you want it.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2015, 12:56:36 am »
Supply and demand. Seriously. Semantics and opinions aside it's supply and demand. Whether or not it's worth that much is up to each individual.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline arachnid

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2015, 01:00:19 am »
      I couldn't sell my bows and make a living at it.  Somebody on here (JW maybe ?) said "it would be easier to feed your family on pickled hummingbird tongues" than to make a living selling handmade bows.   

Ed Scott makes a living out selling primitive bows... thats what he claims...

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2015, 01:15:21 am »
I have sold plenty of bows. I started off cheap but I get between $300-$400 for them now. I dont think my prices could go much higher. If they could, I probably would.  I like bows, but I like money too. Store bought gets you a name, reputation,  and warranty... which leads to peace of mind. How much is that worth?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline huisme

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2015, 02:38:52 am »
I have sold plenty of bows. I started off cheap but I get between $300-$400 for them now. I don't think my prices could go much higher. If they could, I probably would.  I like bows, but I like money too. Store bought gets you a name, reputation,  and warranty... which leads to peace of mind. How much is that worth?

Those are a lot of the things I take into consideration. I spend my time and resources to make things on which people are willing to spend their time and resources. I don't remember all the people who've told me it taints the craft and I don't hold it against them but it's quite literally exchanging my time for theirs. There's something more than just monetary about putting hours of your life into trading for the skills of another compared to one out of a vast sum of uniform products, but those uniform products (can) carry a greater reputation than I can hope for.
50#@26"

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2015, 02:51:33 am »
      I couldn't sell my bows and make a living at it.  Somebody on here (JW maybe ?) said "it would be easier to feed your family on pickled hummingbird tongues" than to make a living selling handmade bows.   

Ed Scott makes a living out selling primitive bows... thats what he claims...

Ed Scott builds the most beautiful bows I've ever seen anyone build period. Would love to own one eventually but they are pretty pricey.
I like osage

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2015, 03:26:22 am »
Can someone explain what "buy" a bow means? O:) :laugh:
The price is simply down to what someone will pay and what they want.

I just recently finished a superb bow from semi matched (as opposed actually to book matched) Yew billets.
It's got some natural reflex still in there, the splice is barely visible, it shoots fast.
This guy doesn't want it 'cos it's not a single stave ::).
OK that's his prerogative, but he just doesn't realize what a great deal he'd be getting....
I'm sure it will find a home... I like to see 'em getting shot, not cluttering up the garage.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 03:48:00 am »
600$ is £380.
For those of you who say that 600$ is unreasonable then go out and buy a quality bandsaw probably two, a drum sander, a linisher,an edge sander, a disc sander, all the hand tools you will need, random orbital sander, lots of sanding belts and multiple blades for your bandsaws, a vedry good dust extraction system, a big workshop, a full spraying set up spraygun,hoses,water filters,dust filters,respirator,good compressor and booth suitable for spraying bows....Then buy yourself a whole load of exotics,actionboo,dymalux etc and spend at least a few months storing them correctly so you can actually use it without risking warping/delamination down the line. Then learn how to make 'mass produced' bows and figure out all your methods so that you know each one will be flawless. Oh and don't forget wear on all your tools , electricity, rent of your workshop, insurance.....
Have I made my point?!? I am close to starting selling bows like this and boy oh boy when it actually comes to doing it there are many, many costs. 600$......sounds about right to me.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2015, 03:59:07 am »
Mike I'd give you a 'like' if they had 'em on here.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline huisme

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2015, 04:22:04 am »
Mike, you just about summed up why I plan on never going bigger than custom one-at-a-time hand-tooled bows. People act like it's so much more work than grinding out mass produced pieces but I'd bury myself trying to set all that up. Hatchet and rasp work with the occasional power sanded gluing surface suits me just fine as long as that's what people want. I need a better workshop for sure but for me it's about elbow room and storage ;)
50#@26"

vtbow

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2015, 08:03:17 am »
Is $600 worth $600?

owlbait

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2015, 08:07:47 am »
The point being that $600 is too high for THAT bow compared to a custom bow in the same price range where you have contact, feedback, and choices of your input. No one says building bows doesn't require time, talent, and equipment. However, if you have the ability to mass produce a bow like the Savannah, it seems the price point should be lower. But, if you can get it, especially from people with little experience or few other choices, it would be worth it to them. Until they understand that there are better options in that price range. Sure, it is worth whatever anyone will pay for it. I still don't see why it is even posted on a primitive archery site. I'd rather be looking at your bows, and I have never questioned what the bows on this site are worth. :)

Offline bushboy

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2015, 10:16:35 am »
For the most part,i think what we do here one of a kind art work c/w function and artwork. Has certain value to the right person.from stump to shooter takes a lot of work.i think most folks here are driven by passion rather than monetary gains like any true"starving artist".i think if I was building by order it would become a "job" rather quickly and I would lose interest.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.