Author Topic: what justifies a price of 600 for this type of bow?  (Read 13711 times)

vtbow

Re: what justifies a price of 600 for this type of bow?
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2015, 09:55:29 pm »
Manufacturing and individual handcrafting are two different worlds -- and that's a good thing.

Don't forget costs for hired labor, advertising, packaging, distributor and dealer markups, printing, product liability insurance, worker's comp insurance, health insurance, supplier qualification, accounting, inventory control, shipping and receiving, waste disposal, QA, and nowadays IT.

If you're showing 10% profit on anything these days, you're an industrial powerhouse.

On the other hand, if you're chipping away at a bow with a hatchet, you can give it your undivided attention.

I asked before whether $600 was worth $600. That is what I meant.

Or maybe I should have asked, Is $600 worth a bow?

Offline dbb

« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2015, 01:37:51 am »
There is another thing to consider
However much i love to shoot the bows i make..(and making them too) when i go for a field target meet i grab my Border Black Douglas.

There is a difference in precision between hunting/stumping and ringed targets.
A perfectly acceptable "huntingshot" can make me drop 2-3 rankings and the bows i make atleast are not fast enough and more importantly not consitant enough depending on temperature,moisture and so on,an x or y-fiber bow can take all that and be consistant.

If i go out to have fun with my friends i take "my bows"and i have a couple of spares for them too  :D  But depending on what you use them for,sometimes 600 is cheap.

My take on it :I dont like wearing rainclothes either,but sometimes its the best choice  :laugh:
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline GB

« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2015, 02:57:57 am »
Who knows; I may spend $600 on a bow someday, but I will not pay $14/lb for a T-bone steak.  The cost of almost everything is up, and I don't know about the rest of you, but my wages aren't keeping pace.  Good thing I like pork chops. ;)
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline WillS

« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2015, 06:31:40 am »
$600 is pennies compared to a self yew warbow made by somebody who knows what they're doing.  You can triple that price straight off the bat.  And that's for a bow that has built in obsolescence and could explode at any moment. 

$600 for something that's reliable and consistent like this one seems cheap to me.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2015, 08:15:31 am »
I don't think I've seen anyone mention retailer mark up.  3rivers is probably buying that bow for around $300.  The retailers that I'm familiar with take what they pay for an item and multiply that cost by 2 - 2.5.  That's how they price everything.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2015, 11:46:12 am »
Dealer mark up is already pretty much factored in by the "manufacturers suggested retail price".  Most places sell for considerably less than the MSRP. For example, Martins MSRP may be $649 but you can get on 3rivers and pick it up for $599. I'm sure they're still making a killing, but it could be worse! The distributors are doing the manufacture a great favor by pushing mass amounts of product into consumers hands. It's like a partnership, they need each other and they both want profit.

Idk... To me, an example of mark up is when the hoarders line up at Walmart at 4am to buy bricks of .22lr that costed $5 to produce, bought by Walmart for $10 and sold at an MSRP of $25.... Then sold online or at shows by the hoarders for $100.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 11:54:56 am by make-n-break »
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1