Author Topic: You know what they say...  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Ghost Knapper

You know what they say...
« on: July 17, 2015, 09:22:00 pm »
If at first you don't succeed try and try again. 4th time was the charm, finally finished a calfcreek/andice point.

Thanks to Outbackbob for showing me how he punch notches.

Offline Outbackbob48

Re: You know what they say...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 10:31:12 pm »
Joel, Very very nice. I knew that you could do it and they seem to get easier after a few whoops. Great lookin point..  I had to come back and look again and I see ya got the nice C shaped flakes thinning ahead for ya, Bob
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 10:36:36 pm by Outbackbob48 »

Offline Ghost Knapper

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 10:47:31 pm »
Well that was one thing I found interesting most of the flakes did not have the classic C shape to them. To get the most control I could from the punch I used a small vice with rubber on either side to hold the preform while I punched out the notches. So the whole time the base and both ears were not supported at all. I did have to take it out each time after removing a flake to clean up and square everything up so it wasn't the quickest method but it worked.

Offline 1442

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 11:30:36 pm »
Really nice Andice point,
I like it a lot

AncientTech

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 11:57:21 pm »
That is awesome Ghost Knapper,

If you are looking for the deep C-bulb notches, I would suggest using the edge of a coarse stone biface as a punch.  You can put the edge of the biface into the notch, and rap the back edge of the biface.  It is better to use a really coarse grade biface, so as to minimize breakage of the biface.  Also, I think that a small ovate biface works well for this type of punch.  If the shape is ovate, there is less risk of burinating the tip, with a sharp blow.

I believe that there is another type of punch, in the archaeological record, that was used for the same effect.  It looks like a small peg, with a beveled end that looks like a blunt screwdriver. 

I have not yet tried the latter tool.  But, I have seen it in archaeological reports, over the years. 

Ancient Tech

Offline Ghost Knapper

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2015, 12:28:46 pm »
While I find the technique of using another biface as a notching tool intriging i think that it would be quite challanging to create a deep notches. Do you have a finished example of using that technique?