Author Topic: store bought field points?  (Read 6932 times)

Offline Predictable

store bought field points?
« on: July 17, 2015, 09:48:29 pm »
i was reading on making your own arrows, and a lot of people like to buy nails and sharpen them. has anyone tried these?

(they're cheap, 3 dollars for what looks like ~12).

i don't hunt, just target shooting. i was thinking of fixing these to the front of wooden dowels of the same diameter. seems like they'd work nice. any opinions?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 04:49:30 pm by Predictable »

Offline DC

Re: store bought field points?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 10:06:06 pm »
I am trying them(or something like them) on boo arrows.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28697.135.html

Second to last post

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 10:13:13 pm »
This would be better suited to the arrows page, but my answer is the same regardless of the questions location.

I tried fixing the to dowels with poor results. Drilling out a dowel is just too much for it to retain it's strength. The point almost has to go over the wood or like a stone point inserted into a slit and wrapped well with sinew or the like.

I do use them with good results in bamboo shafting. The hole is already there it just needs widened a bit. I try to do it just ahead of a natural node as they are stronger than the straight sections between them. After adjusting the fit, just glue them in with an expanding glue(like gorilla) and stick them in. I wrap a little sinew or silk behind it just to be safe.  There a number of good tutorials on how to make bamboo arrows with cheap garden stakes from a hardware store. They would be in the arrow section.

I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Predictable

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 10:22:02 pm »
This would be better suited to the arrows page, but my answer is the same regardless of the questions location.

I tried fixing the to dowels with poor results. Drilling out a dowel is just too much for it to retain it's strength. The point almost has to go over the wood or like a stone point inserted into a slit and wrapped well with sinew or the like.

I do use them with good results in bamboo shafting. The hole is already there it just needs widened a bit. I try to do it just ahead of a natural node as they are stronger than the straight sections between them. After adjusting the fit, just glue them in with an expanding glue(like gorilla) and stick them in. I wrap a little sinew or silk behind it just to be safe.  There a number of good tutorials on how to make bamboo arrows with cheap garden stakes from a hardware store. They would be in the arrow section.

i've been on the arrow page all day and i posted this here. wow.

question: what do you meant by "Drilling out a dowel is just too much for it to retain it's strength", do you mean the dowel will split? or the field point pop off?

Offline Predictable

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 10:23:39 pm »
I am trying them(or something like them) on boo arrows.
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,28697.135.html

Second to last post

regarding your post in the other thread, did you glue in place the screw extension then thread in the field point, or did you also glue in place the field point for extra strength?

PS: smart idea with the screw extensions, i didn't even know those existed, thanks!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 10:28:44 pm »
Duplex nail points work great on bamboo and cane.  I've never tried them with dowels.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 10:36:41 pm »
 :-[ Sorry for being a smart a$$. It's my first serious "log on" of the day and I hadn't gotten to the arrows forum yet. My bad.

I would have answered it anyway, but you got it quicker this way. :laugh:
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 10:39:23 pm »
Oh and to answer the question, in my case the dowels were splitting, usually on misses that hit ground but not always. I spit one on a dense foam 3d target as well. I tried reinforcing them but they started to look bulky up front.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline DC

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2015, 10:49:29 pm »

regarding your post in the other thread, did you glue in place the screw extension then thread in the field point, or did you also glue in place the field point for extra strength?

PS: smart idea with the screw extensions, i didn't even know those existed, thanks!

I just glued the extension into the arrow. I have six test arrows that I use to determine the spine needed for a new bow. I thought it would be nice to be able to change the tip to try different weight. Duplex nails didn't lend themselves to that very well. Since I'm not real confident in the screw extensions because the boo needs to be drilled out a little more than with the nails I'll only use them in my test arrows for a while. If you work in an office that has been around for a while, rustle through the drawers of an old desk. These extension bolts were the standard for binders back when people used binders.

Offline Predictable

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2015, 11:52:03 pm »
:-[ Sorry for being a smart a$$. It's my first serious "log on" of the day and I hadn't gotten to the arrows forum yet. My bad.

I would have answered it anyway, but you got it quicker this way. :laugh:

haha, you weren't at fault, i was just saying that i couldn't believe i posted my question to "Bows" instead of "Arrows", considering how much time i spent over at Arrows today.

thanks for the reply BTW.

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 12:08:51 pm »
I like the chicago screw Idea for bamboo.

I was experimenting with drilling out the primer on old shell casings. The diameter of the shell casing at the bottom fits 11/32 shaft. I'm going to go buy some chicago screw ext. And try and solder or glue them into the shell casing, kind of like a home-made top hat. I'll try and post pics of my experiment.

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2015, 01:30:34 pm »
Any that I've seen are aluminum, so soldering is out. :(

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2015, 01:56:17 pm »
Here are two field point ideas for cane and hardwood shoot arrows, The one for hardwood shoots can be used for dowel arrows. It is a strip of metal as wide as the shaft and an inch or 2 long. For cane this is a 16d common nail with a blob of brazing added and shaped into a cone with a file and drill...

You can add screw on points to cane but I wouldn't bother trying to bore a straight hole in the center of a doweled shaft.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Predictable

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2015, 05:47:00 pm »
Here are two field point ideas for cane and hardwood shoot arrows, The one for hardwoood...

Appreciate the info and pics.

Offline Little John

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2015, 10:18:54 am »
The store bought points you pictured are mane for and will work much better on aluminum or carbon arrows. For wooden arrows I think you will get much better results with the traditional points that fit over the tapered end of your shaft. Still store bought but you will probably have to order them from a traditional archery dealer unless you have one near you. I am sure there are some here who advertise with Primitive Archer.        Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell