Author Topic: Show me your foreshafting drill  (Read 6972 times)

Offline punch

Show me your foreshafting drill
« on: July 21, 2015, 05:25:56 pm »
I am going to be adding foreshaft to my mulefat arrows.  What are you using to drill out the shafts?  A photo would be great with how deep you set your foreshafting. I have done a few but have not been happy with the drilling method.

Offline DC

Re: Show me your foreshafting drill
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 05:39:26 pm »
I guess you don't want to see a picture of my metal lathe. Drills holes right in the center ;D

Offline punch

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 06:16:33 pm »
No that is cheating.... just kidding.  But I am looking for something more like a hand tool.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 08:26:36 pm »
Why are you adding foreshafts to mulefat shafts? Isn't it pretty hard, tough wood?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline punch

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 11:36:41 am »
I wanted to be able to change between broad heads and target points.  Also I was thinking of using a hardwood foreshaft sharpened instead of a field points.  Mulefat is pretty strong but I also wanted to get away from relying on store bought field points.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 11:48:15 am »
I've only made a few arrows with foreshafts but they were all cane. Never tried to drill a dowel. Primitives use a stone drill. I guess you could use a twist drill but it wouldn't be a tapered hole.
 When I made horn nocks for a yew war bow I used a 1/2" spade it that I modified to a tapered shape. I guess you could do the same with a 3/8" or 7/16" spade bit and match the taper on the fore shaft to that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 12:06:07 pm »
You can cut a typical point taper on them.I have never done it with mulefat. But I have with sourwood, hill cane, river cane, boo and all the common turned shafting. Works great. That means you can swap out points all you want without fore shafting.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Thunder

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 09:16:43 am »

I just gave one away and this one isn't completely finished, I need to adjust the taper. I try to make mine small enough to fit on a keychain. It's cut out of a 16 gauge? steel cabinet door. It can handle the heat that gets built up while drilling. You can put it in a vice or hold it in your hand. It works for me....

Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 09:19:23 am »
Cool little tool there, Thunder but you are drilling cane in the pic. Have you tried dowels or hardwood shoot arrows with that tool?

Offline Thunder

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 09:49:21 am »
I havent tried it on dowels or hardwood shoots but it might work if it was pointed and had a knife like edge on it.
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2015, 12:43:56 pm »
Here is a link to an article about how Ishi did it.
http://www.archerylibrary.com/articles/pope/yahi-archery/the-arrow1.html
Steve Bennett

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2015, 01:09:13 pm »
This is for bamboo arrows but you might get something out of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VK5INvoNTdk

Start at 14:00 minutes for the drilling but you'll want to watch the whole thing. Turn on the closed captioning for an English narration. Love watching these pros.

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 04:10:21 am »
Putting a solid foreshaft on a solid wood shaft is a waste of time! No real good reason to do it unless you want a lot of weight forward which is still not a good enough reason in my book as fast as I loose and break arrows.
North american natives would only do it on river can just to make the arrow stronger on the business end.
cheers fiddler49

Offline punch

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2015, 10:50:50 am »
Fiddler the kumeyaay which used mulefat used a foreshaft on them.  That is part of the reason I was looking at it.  Mulefat is pretty strong but it still has the soft pith in the middle.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2015, 01:27:12 pm »
  Whats wrong with a power dill and bit. Or are you trying to keep it primitive. Dos'nt do much good like others on here. You'll  use a belt sander and band saw but wont't use a power drill on arrows. I've know and do know people that do just that.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING