Author Topic: Show me your foreshafting drill  (Read 6890 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Re: Show me your foreshafting drill
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2015, 07:55:03 pm »
Never tried it but I would think a tool like Thunder posted clamped into a vise straight up and the hand spin the shaft pushing down. The shaft being down would allow the wood to fall out and keep the bit clean. If the mule fat has a soft center pith then make the tool with a little thin tip to keep it tracking the softer pith. It is all a hand made design but I think doable.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Thunder

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2015, 08:51:49 pm »
nclonghunter...thats exactly how I use it, I also have one slightly bigger for atlatl darts.
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline punch

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 11:32:27 pm »
I don't like using a drill I can't drill straight without a drill press. I can never get straight with a hand drill

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 04:31:50 am »
like I mentioned in my first reply, I don't think hard wood fore shafts on hard wood arrow shaft is worth the time but I have seen pics of a lad on Paleoplanet making them with a long thin flint drill. He mounted the drill on a short thick shaft and held it in between the soles of his shoes while sitting on the ground. Then made a small dimple in the end and spun the arrow shaft on the stationary drill. Just like using a fire drill. The flint drill
will self center in the hole as you spin the drill. You have to take care in making the tapered fore shaft to fit just perfectly. You have to wrap the outside of the tapered hole in arrow shaft with thin sinew to keep from splitting the arrow shaft. cheers fiddler49

Offline sumpitan

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 04:03:32 pm »
Putting a solid foreshaft on a solid wood shaft is a waste of time! No real good reason to do it unless you want a lot of weight forward which is still not a good enough reason in my book as fast as I loose and break arrows.
North american natives would only do it on river can just to make the arrow stronger on the business end.
cheers fiddler49

This is simply not true. Many North American natives, ranging from Inuit groups down to native Californians, used foreshafts on solid wood shafts. These professionals clearly had a different view on what constitutes "a waste of time". Stone points weigh next to nothing. The only way to get a ballistically superior front-heavy-yet-thin primitive arrow is to use a dense foreshaft even on solid-wood arrows. Additionally, most of the arrows of this type were designed to separate at the foreshaft joint after hitting a game animal, as clearly stated in numerous ethnographies. This leaves the main shaft at the hit site and the business end inside the animal. While us modern hobbyists tend to think only a pass-through is good enough, those foreshafted arrows were considered optimal for millennia.

I'll post a pic on my foreshafting drill once I find it :)

Tuukka
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 07:23:06 pm by sumpitan »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2015, 10:32:33 pm »
Seems to me you would have to dead center your hole to use foreshafts. Why not cut a slot and flatten one end of the shaft and glue and wrap with sinew?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sumpitan

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2015, 08:31:10 am »
Drilling a conical hole must've been easier with the tools these guys had, and they had the skill to do it just right. V-groove splicing was also occasionally used, and is IME much easier to do well than drilling a straight, accurate, centered socket, but that was much rarer than the latter. Also, with glued and bound spliced foreshafts, the arrow doesn't come apart as intended.

Tuukka

riverrat

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 06:28:02 am »
make a arrow point, be it metal or stone. tapered like the way you want your hole. mount it on a shaft. its a hand dril,it wont need fletches. sit on your butt. place the arrow shaft you will be drilling out between your feet. yep your feet will hold it . put drill shaft in hands and twirl.at least thats how i seen them do it on those discovery channel shows. ;)now, just sayin here, if "I" were to do this, me, well i like modifying things so they fit me. id dig a hole in front of me. so that the arrow i will be drilling out can rest in it and dont wobble as much as it would if my feet were at the bottom of it instead of nearer the top.now im thinking, with the "hole in the ground", i bet you could use your knees to hold arrow shaft while you drill it. but im thinkin i like the feet method better. if you use your feet, people walking by ohhh and ahh at the sight of someone using thier feet like a monkee.you just cant get that same effect if you use your knees. besides im much more comfortable as a monkee man. :) Tony