Author Topic: how do you tiller a war-bow?  (Read 4769 times)

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
how do you tiller a war-bow?
« on: July 24, 2015, 06:56:26 am »
Hi All,

so, I have a holly stave pretty much seasoned, about 2" width and 70" long and I want to make a heavy ELB or war-bow (not sure yet, depends on what the stave will give me, but certainly full-compass), but how on earth do I string it and bend it on the tiller-tree? Do you use a car-jack, or some kind of pulley system? What do you guys use to actually bend something with the draw weight of a strong long-bow or even of a war-bow?

Offline WillS

Re: how do you tiller a war-bow?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 07:56:29 am »
As with any other bow.  Unless you've got something over 160lbs or so, you should be able to brace and tiller it as you would with a 45lb bow.  Use a stringer obviously, as you won't be able to push-pull or step-through with it unless you've had a LOT of practice.

You won't NEED a pulley system until you're over 120lbs or so, but it will certainly help. 

How do you tiller your other bows?

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 09:32:21 am »
Step through to string and go straight from floor tiller to brace with normal string; don't use long string

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 11:39:49 am »
If you don't want to use a long string (I don't blame you!) you can "floor tiller" a heavy bow by clamping it in a vice and using both arms to bend the limbs, checking the balance.  It can then be braced straight away and tillered as usual.

For stringing, I'd recommend using a stringer to begin with.  Lots of people can use the step through for bows up to and over 150lbs, but it's tricky.  Just file double nocks both end, and use a paracord stringer.

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 03:14:26 am »
Why would you not use a long string?

To string it for tillering use a bow stringer and cut two temporary nocks to put it in.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 03:44:56 am »
There are a few heavy bow build alongs on my blog.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/warbow-stave.html
The work really starts here:-
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/warbow-flexing.html
IMO If you can brace it by stepping through... you are already under weight!

The process of tillering a warbow is exactly the same as any other longbow BUT...The feel is totally different!
It takes a heck of a lot of force to even get 'em braced, it feels like most of the work is in the early stages. It will also scare the heck out of you.
I'd say a long string is essential and a pulley giving 2:1 advantage is pretty much a necessity.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/tiller-improvements.html
My biggest advice is pull the damn thing to full target draw weight from the very beginning, on a long string. Anything less will end up giving you an under weight bow.
Once it's braced you are 80% there and it needs to be bending evenly already.

One last link to the most viewed post on my blog...
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2013/07/warbow-explodes.html
Note, this bow had been to 110# on the long string many times with no problem....
I'd suggest reading that entire post should be compulsory for anyone wanting to make a heavy bow!
Del
« Last Edit: January 01, 2024, 11:28:01 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 06:35:18 am »
Thanks Del,

been a while since I visited your blog, always enjoy it.  I've got a couple of blocks lying around in the garage, think I'll have a go at a pulley system once I refurbish them..