Author Topic: Who uses fletching glue?  (Read 4136 times)

Offline Aaron H

Who uses fletching glue?
« on: July 24, 2015, 09:41:32 am »
I have been using fletching tape recently, and while I like the convenience and ease of usage, sometimes it wants to lift on me after a few hundred shots. I also like to fletch all my arrows by hand without the use of a jig.  My question is who likes to use glue and what type?  I am looking for something that is somewhat fast curing and that will stand the test of time with lots of use.

Offline paulsemp

Re: Who uses fletching glue?
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 09:47:44 am »
When I fletch by hand I use tape and then I run a bead of thin super glue down both sides of the feather

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 10:06:15 am »
That's not a bad idea, thanks Paul

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 10:38:13 am »
I use fletch tape but wrap the forward and rear of the fletching with sinew or silk thread. That usually keeps it down pretty well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 11:53:24 am »
I always wrap mine with sinew as well Pat, but sometimes they lift in the middle anyways, especially in the heat

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 01:09:10 pm »
 I've one of those people if it's not broke don't fix it. I've aways used glue ot sinew or both. Never Te onlty times I used tape It sucked for that very reason. Did'nt totally stay on.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 06:45:51 pm »
I always wrap mine with sinew as well Pat, but sometimes they lift in the middle anyways, especially in the heat

What I have been doing lately since I have been wrapping is.....
..Trim the wild turkey feathers close to the final size and cut them to length
..Use a fletching jig and very little super glue at the ends of the feather only
..Use upholstery thread and wrap the feather on from front to rear. this sometimes breaks loose the super glue which is OK.
..adjust feather to get it straight and spaced evenly.
..Trim feather to the final shape and make sure the spacing and straightness is OK.
.. Finally water down some TBIII and use a small paint brush and paint the wraps between the feathers to secure everything in place.

I'm not the best explaining things in print, I'm better showing in person, hope you understand the written words.
DBar
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:52:49 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bow101

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 11:38:12 pm »
Tape is all I use never had a problem just put a dab of glue on the front and rear of the fletching and run a small bead down 1 side of feather.   Tape is very cheap got it from a craft store, glue can be costly.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 07:41:13 am »
I use fletch tite platinum.  I want to try the tape on my next set of arrows.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 07:51:35 am »
I use Bohning Fletch-Tite Platinum but I have fletched arrows with artificial sinew, barber pole or candy cane style, without gluing and had them stay on, I tried tape once and it didn't work well for me.

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 01:25:19 pm »
I use Gorilla CA glue (super glue) and put a short wrap on the front of the feathers to keep them from tearing up my hands. I think it makes the whole process more enjoyable to wait 10 seconds in between feathers as opposed to 10 minutes with fletch glue. Haven't had one come loose yet, not even bouncing off hard objects.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1