Author Topic: Smoky Mountain National Park question  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Adam

Smoky Mountain National Park question
« on: July 26, 2015, 10:25:55 pm »
My family is going to be visiting the Smoky Mountain National Park for two days in September.  I wish we had longer, but we're squeezing it in since it's on the way to where we're going.  Do any of you have any recommendations on hiking trails that are doable with our 11 month old son?  We'll probably either have him in a backpack-like carrier or a stroller.  I'm the type that usually looks for more difficult trails and ones that are less crowded, but that approach wouldn't be ideal on this trip. 

I'd also really like to do some fly fishing while I'm there, though I could probably only spend a couple hours at it.  Any suggestions for fishing areas that would be easy to access, and any have a picnic area or something similar for my wife and son while I fish?

I know there's way too much to see there in only two days.  We're planning on going back to the park in the future for a longer visit, but I'm glad we'll at least get a little time there this year.

Thanks!

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Smoky Mountain National Park question
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 11:36:01 pm »
I don't know of any specific trails but that's a beautiful place.  You will love it.  Check out Cades cove.  Its a large loop that you drive.  You will see some wildlife there.  I think mornings and evenings are a better time to see some action.  We were married in those mountains next to a small stream almost 15 years ago. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 11:36:38 pm »
Cades Cove, just outside of Townsend Tenn.  Cades Cove is a flat valley with mountains all around. The road that loops around it is 11 miles long with 2 cross roads and streams. Great for biking or hiking. Lots of deer and bears to view, maybe even an elk or two. Good camping facilities, old homestead houses and outbuildings, old churches and a working grist mill. September and October in Cades Cove can be pretty exciting for a deer hunter or wildlife photographer. The animals are used to people so you can get great pics.
 If you go, if there are lots of people there turn off the loop road onto one of the dirt cross roads, find a creek and walk along it. You can get away from all the people like that and get good deer and bear viewing. If you plan to camp you probably should get info from the ranger station there. At some times of year, lots of people go to Cades Cove for the weekend for wildlife viewing and leaf looking. We've been during all seasons and were never disappointed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Loope

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 11:44:04 pm »
Laurel Falls trail is between Townsend and Gatlinburg, I think around a mile.  The trail is paved for wheelchairs and baby stroller access.   

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 11:54:33 pm »
Oconaluftee Village near Sugarland Visitors Center.   Google has lots of info.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 01:00:17 am »
When I started reading your post, the first place that came to my mind was Cade's Cove. You can't go wrong there. If you want close-up deer pictures, you can get close enough to them to touch them. There's a lot to see in that compact area.

WA

Offline TRACY

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 07:18:52 am »
Wife and I hiked a 16 mile loop on east end at Crosby. They're was a neat waterfall 2 miles in but you had to go straight up the entire distance. Drove over to North Carolina side and there was a really nice park Big Creek that had suitable trails and great facilities. Great place! Good luck

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 09:08:07 am »
I have hiked everywhere in the Smokies, Laural Falls is an easy hike and on your way to Cade's Cove. Abrams Falls in Cade's Cove is a fairly level hike, can't remember the distance but think it about a mile and a half one way. If you go to Cade's Cove, plan to be there about an hour and a half before dark, the deer come off the ridges and into the fields at dusk. You will see a lot more wildlife late in the evening than during the middle of the day. Traffic will be bumper to bumper as you drive the 11 mile loop. If a bear steps out it becomes a circus with people doing incredibly stupid things like getting between a sow and her cubs.

It is best to stop at the Sugarland Visitor center just out of Gatlinburg on the way to Cades cove and pick up a hiking trail pamphlet to find out where the trails are.

You can always stop at a trail head and walk in to the extent of your ability and turn around and go back,  I have done this a bunch and seen some wonderful stuff. The arrow shaped trail markers are abundant along the main roads.

If you go to Newfound Gap, the walk to Clingman's Dome is paved and steep but not too long, nice view from the overlook on top. On the other side of the parking lot the trail to Mt Leconte Branches off to Charlie's Bunyon for another nice view, this trail is a bit rocky and washed out though.

If you want to see the most beautiful places, hike up the north side of the mountain anywhere. All the spruce trees, Hemlock trees,  rhododendron and rushing streams  are on the north side of the ridges.

This is Laural Falls;

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 11:56:25 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 09:24:18 am »
This is a typical trail up the mountain, this one is on the way up to Rainbow falls. This trail is too challenging for a young family.

Rainbow Falls during a dry spell;

This is a typical north slope view from any of the trails that go up the north side of the ridge.

Most people who go to the Smokies don't ever get to see the "real" mountains. I don't remember where this was at but these places are everywhere when you get a few miles off the paved road.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 11:58:34 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Adam

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 09:30:18 pm »
Thank you all for the great information and prompt responses!  I had read a little online about the park, but I trust opinions from all of the great PA people way more than random websites!  I'm glad to hear all the good reviews of Cade's Cove. I read that it could be extremely crowded, so I was thinking of avoiding it, but it definitely sounds like a spot we have to visit.  I'll get some pictures up when we go (the second week of September).  Thanks again!

Offline Adam

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2015, 09:31:10 pm »
Thanks for the pictures too Eric.  It certainly looks like beautiful country!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 05:36:29 pm »
Here is a neat Cade's cove picture I took a few years ago;

Offline Adam

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 07:53:14 pm »
Wow, Erik.  That is an amazing picture!  The NPS should use that on their website.

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2015, 08:55:34 pm »
thanks for the pictures , causes me to day dream.
john 3:16

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 09:11:35 pm »
The mountain range behind the rainbow is the one the Appalachian Trail follows. I hiked 4 miles up to Spence Field shelter on the AT ( from a trail head on the road going to Cade's Cove) and happened into a middle aged couple who were within 150 miles of finishing the whole trail. Very interesting folk, overweight and not experienced hikers when they started but lean and mean when I met them. We still keep in touch.