Author Topic: Interesting Shoot Venue  (Read 1520 times)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Interesting Shoot Venue
« on: July 27, 2015, 03:30:46 am »
At the weekend I got to shoot in a Victorian fort, one of a chain of defences against the French built in Victorian times (it was completed in 1879).
To get down into the dry moat where the shooting took place we had to walk down a long tunnel carved through the chalk of the hill.
There is a string of these forts and also some built in the middle of the sea just off Portsmouth.
They are known as Palmerston's Follies:-
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=palmerston%27s+follies&espv=2&biw=1093&bih=747&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CDAQsARqFQoTCJSQrNze-sYCFQu3FAodJnEPvQ&dpr=1
because by the time they were finished the threat from the French had gone, the armaments were obsolete and some of the Forts looked like they were built facing the wrong way! Some being built to protect against the French trying to take Portsmouth from the landward side, where the obvious attack would be from the sea.

Interestingly, during WWII there was a huge series of caves cut into the hill to act as a a giant air raid shelter for the whole population of Portsmouth.. it was like a city carved into the chalk. The Luftwaffe gave Portsmouth a hard time as it was a major naval dockyard.
A little further North on the chalk hills of the South Downs there is a memorial to the crew of one German bomber that took some anti aircraft fire and crashed there. The wreck was researched and it gives their names. It's a moving tribute to the young men from "the other side" who also suffered. I can think of worse places to end your days, it's a tranquil place with views out across to the Isle of Wight on a clear day,
I spent my formative years near there and Portsmouth is well worth a visit if you ever come to the UK... the Mary Rose Museum, HMS Victory, a submarine museum and loads of other interesting stuff.
Del
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 03:42:54 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline chamookman

Re: Interesting Shoot Venue
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 03:59:57 am »
Way cool Del ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 09:28:19 am »
Wow, that's different.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 09:31:32 am »
See what happens when you take hunting away from people?!?

I think it would be fun and different to shoot that.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 09:54:20 am »
Cool stuff, Del.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 12:04:58 pm »
That would be a place I would love to visit someday.

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 01:09:24 pm »
Del, I go there every summer for a bike rally (biker party). A great place and the tunnel tour is great if you can get on one.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 11:46:45 pm »
 8)

Offline Tillstave

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2015, 10:07:14 pm »
Del, that is very cool. Looks like you have quite a group there. Good to see primitive archery so popular over there.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 10:43:32 pm »
Very cool!  Josh

Offline silverfox

• Ohio Subscription #108669
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 07:05:38 pm »
Very cool, thank you for posting it.
New to all of this primitive stuff. Just taking it all in, and learning every time I come here.

Subscription # 108669