Author Topic: what????  (Read 3541 times)

Offline jayman448

what????
« on: July 28, 2015, 01:28:18 pm »
So lately i have been shooting my flatbow for getting ready for the hunt this year. I was shooting well so i decided i might as well bring out the recurve for a few shots. I never even hit the target board. What the heck can cause me to miss left by a foot consistantly just because of bow style???? Its fruatrating as all hell!!!

Offline Aaron H

Re: what????
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 01:45:02 pm »
This time of year, I pick up my hunting bow and shoot it and only it.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 01:48:58 pm »
I was thinking that was what i ought to do. But my recurve ia faster and heavier and mire center cut, i assumed i would be much more on point. I dont intend on farting with it any more but im still baffeled as to why a more cebter cut bow would have me shooting so far left?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 02:56:05 pm »
they each have there own aiming point. Are you using different arrows for each?
If you are comfortable shooting your selfbow and shoot it well, why not hunt with it? You are the only thing keeping you from killing a deer with it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jayman448

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 09:54:04 pm »
No im using the same arrows. One is 47# @28 and the recurve is 52#@28. I pull 27. So by those specs, and going by the arrow chart found on threerivers, my 2016's with 125gr points should be fine for both bows

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 11:06:18 pm »
You are having an arrow spine problem. The close to center shot bow is more spine tolerant than the selfbow. If you get used to shooting the selfbow with those arrows your siting will change with the other bow.
Make separate arrows for each bow unless they do shoot the same.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline jayman448

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 11:42:17 pm »
Ok but the less center shot bow is the one that i am dead eye with. The center shot should be even better youd think. It doesnt make sense to me that the more center shot bould be the one shooting left.. thats what i find so confusing

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 12:01:23 am »
Do the arrows shoot well otherwise with both bows. If so, you will have to learn to aim each bow differently. At this late date I'd pic the bow you shoot best and go with it.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 01:50:55 am »
I think they shoot fine. Any one else have any idea why i shoot better with a less center cut bow. Than with a center shot? (Of which i shoot farther left... more characteristic of a wrong spline on the less cut bow)  my head is just baffeled.

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 01:07:49 pm »
The flatbow would induce more archers paradox than the cut out recurve, it's possible the flatbow is actually shooting a little right and you are now used to that and that appears straight to you, then the recurve would shoot a little straighter due to closer to center (less bow for the arrow to curve around) and so while you think you are aiming straight you're actually way left from compensating on the other bow. Archers paradox is a funny thing, spine and bow width can cause an arrow to got straight, left or even right and they will behave very differently on another bow with different dimensions and weight.

Offline jayman448

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 02:35:08 pm »
Ok that makes sense. Hadnt thought of it like that. O well tho. The flat bow is doin er for me!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 05:03:05 pm »
 Your recurve center shot. Y
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline jayman448

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2015, 03:50:20 am »
I dont understand the question/ statement

Offline Wooden Spring

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 02:40:26 pm »
Two possible ways to fix a consistent left shooting.

1) Try rotating the bow more clockwise (if you're right-handed and holding the bow in your left hand that is...). I tell my students to start at approxamately 45 degrees and see where that places the arrow. The idea is that the two fletchings on your arrow form a "V" under your eye that acts as an almost imperceptable rear sight to your vision. You then draw an imaginary sight line along the length of the arrow directly to the bullseye. If you can't draw a straight line to the bullseye, then your arrow certainly isn't going to fly straight to the bullseye. 

2) You could be plucking the string. If you keep the muscles in your fingers tight at the moment of release, you could be inducing vibration into the string which will inevitably throw your shot off. Instead, think of a release not as something you are "doing" but something that you "stop doing." A release is simply letting go of the string, and it takes some work to teach your muscles to fully relax upon release. To help, when you release, let your fingers come back and touch your ear.
"Everything that moves shall be food for you..." Genesis 9:3

Offline le0n

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2015, 03:01:42 pm »
try a 3/4 draw on the recurve and see if it the arrow takes a better trajectory. if so, you'll know it's a spine issue.

i experienced this with some phragmite arrows my cousin let me test with my recurve. i missed the entire bag at 10 yards. 3/4 draw and they were dead on.

good luck.