Author Topic: Sudden onset of handshock  (Read 1526 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

Sudden onset of handshock
« on: July 28, 2015, 04:10:20 pm »
My Osage recurve has always had a little handshock but nothing severe. Shot it this morning and it was enough to shake you in addition to that it lost a noticable amount of cast. There are only two things I can think of that would have caused it is that I had it in my truck for a day in extremely high hunidity and the cherry overlays and string bridges could have soaked up a lot of moisture putting a lot more mass on the limb tips. Or it could be that yesterday I showed the bow to some of my relatives which one of them promptly started trying to string it by shoving one of the tips in the ground, pushing with a knee in the middle of the limb and rearing back. And he wouldn't listen to me to quit until he couldn't get it. Which it's safe to say that I'm not bringing out any of my bows around him again. The only noticable damage from that is that one of the overlays started to pop off, which I didn't notice until this morning. I'm going to super glue it back down and see if that helps, I'm also going to reduce the nocks some since they are still a little over sized.

So what do you all think could be the reason for the noticable increase in handshock? Im leaning towards a little bit of both. I'm going to play with it until I can get rid off it and get it back to normal.

Thanks
Kyle

Offline Spotted Dog

Re: Sudden onset of handshock
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 05:25:07 pm »
Kyle,
with this heat and humidity I would think too that is part of it. Heat in a car is worse on wood. There was a man at Mojam years ago that pulled a bow out of his hot truck
and it was like a limp noodle. Rework your tips and make sure if in a hot car again you let it cool off good. To hot here in K.C. to work a bow in my shop.
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 05:39:40 pm »
Have you inspected the limbs for any chrysaling?  Those can damage the tiller on a single limb and then the limbs are out of balance.  This can cause the limbs not to return to the stop position at the same moment, which will increase hand shock noticeably.  I'm knocking on wood as I type this and hoping it is not actually the issue, but I think you'll want to check it out carefully. 

BTW - If it breaks, you'll want to save the pieces to beat your rude relative with...  >:D >:D >:D

OneBow
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 06:04:48 pm by Onebowonder »

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 02:30:32 am »
It has been stressed too much on on limb causing it to take set and therefore go out of tiller.
Definitely not moisture.
I'm afraid its probably toast. You could get it back into tiller but that limb has already been damaged (set) and that's irreversible.
Never ever let anyone else shoot/string or do anything else with your bow unless you know 100% that they know what they are doing.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 09:51:43 am »
That what I was afraid of. I was hoping it would be the moisture or something of the sort that I could correct. When it's unbraced it looks normal though I need to look at it with better light. But a buddy said the tiller looked a little different when I was trying to shoot it yesterday morning. I wasn't toi worried about the heat of te truck since it was left in the cab over night and it was cool and wasn't stored in the cab during the day. But it's safe to say I'm not trusting that person with anything again, especially since when I handed them the bow for them to look at I told them not to string it repetitively.

Kyle

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 10:02:04 am »
That's why folks preach exercising the bow ALOT while you tiller. These types of sudden changes cant happen if you do so.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 12:53:36 pm »
      How does the tiller look braced? When I was kind of new at making bows I used to get something I called a rubberized affect. The bow would not take a lot of set visually but the limb was way over worked. An easy way to recognize a rubberized limb is after you unbrace it if you are able to give it a little push and it goes right back into shape the limb has been overstressed. I would much prefer a bow took a little set and if I attempted to push it back to where I started it comes right back to the current set position. I call that hard set which means the bow limbs are still nice and solid.

Offline Dances with squirrels

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 01:35:05 pm »
Mike Keswick nailed it, IMO.

As a result, limbs are out of sync, and that causes hand shock.

Is it finished? Depending on how much he stressed that limb, they may balance themselves back out some with use. If not, adjust the tiller.
Straight wood may make a better bow, but crooked wood makes a better bowyer

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 03:36:01 pm »
i think you are gripping the bow harder than before