Author Topic: A Lucid Point Of View  (Read 14930 times)

Offline Buffalogobbler

A Lucid Point Of View
« on: July 28, 2015, 07:29:55 pm »
Dear Editor,
While I respect and have no problem with those who hold differing opinions,the character assassination in Mr. Ron Huff's letter"A Point Of View"APR/MAY,regarding my article"Chuck And Kevin's Amazing Selfbow Adventure"was a shock and disappointment to say the least.If his letter had been a trollish response to one of my online hunting video's,I'd have just deleted it,a comment in reply would not have been worth the effort.
If I were to say exactly what I thought of the anti-hunting/non-archer Ron Huff and his opinions about my article,you would not be able to print my letter in your magazine,so I will keep these opinions to myself.
As I said I can appreciate a respectful debate among educated adults,it is obvious however, that Mr Huff 's blatherings are neither respectful or educated.Rather they resemble the mindless mania spouted by anti-hunters.
At the beginning of his letter it is obvious that Mr Huff thinks of himself as an intelligent and educated man,indicating that he thinks I spelled"selfbow"wrong.Well, when I was a young lad and wanted to know how to spell a word,my teacher always said "Look it up!"and while I am still capable of mis-spelling the simplest of words,I would suggest Mr. Huff,that before attempting to correct my spelling,that you Look it up also!because the joke's on you!Selfbow is one word, not two!
From Mr. Huff's letter it is apparent that he is not a hunter,"I never craved the hunt"and not much of an archer either,"I've shot a bow since I was 8 years old...on and off of course"yet his lack of knowledge or experience regarding hunting or archery doe's not stop him from voicing his opinion on either subject,in his rantings stating that"It takes no skill,no heart,and no imagination","shooting bears at bait".
In his letter, Mr. Huff trie's to impress us with his archery/hunting credentials,which amount to, he shot a bow a few times,did not like hunting,and apparently has not hunted in decades. His"credentials"were mostly braging that his father was the greatest hunter/archer that we never heard of,better than Howard Hill!!!
Some very impressive stuff indeed!But to suggest that your father was a better hunter than the legendary Howard Hill stretches credulity sir,it is not only incredulous,it boarders on raving lunacy!
Here are some of my hunting/archery credentials.
Unlike Mr. Huff, I do not shoot my bow"on and off",I shoot my bow every chance I get and have done so for decades. For more than 35 years I have hunted deer,turkey and squirrels every chance I got,hunting 50-60 days per year.I hunt on heavily hunted public land and have killed more hunter sav'vy deer,from the ground,with my bow, than Mr. Huff can count on his fingers and toe's.For this bear hunt Chuck and I built our own bows and arrows,we practiced for months,shooting 30-40 arrows every day,and all of this was done with"no heart,no skill and no imagination".Mr. Huff,you've done none of these things,so what makes you think your opinion has any value whatsoever?
Here's a little information that Mr. Huff apparently doe's not understand.Game laws are set by the States and provinces to protect huntable species from over hunting and unethical practices.Each State/Province set's up the laws and practice's that best suit thier respective areas.These laws are set by educated professionals(which Mr. Huff is assuredly Not!)who have the best interests of thier animals and states in mind.Hunting over bait is an ethical,fair chase practice that is used in many areas accross the continent.There are no guaranteed kills,this is not a canned hunt,and the uneducated,self important opinion's of someone sitting on his duff thousands of miles away have no bearing or merit.
There are many way's to hunt and many reasons to hunt and those who portray themselve's as purist's of one form or another,wasting thier live's demeaning other's of a supposed lesser ilk,are nothing more than self- flagellating egotist's.
If I had the chance to go back and do this bear hunt all over again,I would hesitate not one instant!I would recommend Big Bear Country Outfitters to anyone planning a similar hunt,It was a grand adventure!
"Selfies lost thier dignity",indeed Mr. Huff, it took little dignity to write such an ego stroking letter!
In the end Mr. Huff the most apropiate response to your self impotent/important letter is Forrest Gump quoting his mother....
"Stupid is as stupid doe's",or in your case"Stupid is as stupid say's".

Kevin J. Raybould
Buffalogobbler
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 10:33:09 am by Buffalogobbler »
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline bubby

Re: A Lucid Point Of View
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 09:29:30 pm »
Well said Kevin well said
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Online JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 09:41:25 pm »

Where is the "Like" button?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 03:29:29 pm »
Yah, I doubt the PETA monthly news letter posts very many successful hunting stories for us.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 11:34:01 pm »
I was shocked to see Mr. Huff's letter printed in PA magazine as well. Good on you Kevin for defending yourself and Chuck. I'd like to see this rebuttal letter of yours in print in the next issue of PA.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2015, 12:40:14 am »
Did a PETA Nimrod seriously get a letter printed in PA??!!

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 08:59:53 am »
Not sure he was full blown PETA, but he certainly swings both ways.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 12:15:45 pm »
I see. So an animal activists/PETA sympathizer writes a letter to the editor of an archery magazine? This made me think about the fact that bows were first designed for hunting or protection from other humans. Either way the bow was developed as an instrument to ultimately inflict death upon its target, yet this person believes that a bow's higher purpose is strictly for target practice?

Unbelievable.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2015, 06:38:53 pm »
Why does the name Ron Huff,sound so familiar to me?

Can anyone jog my memory?

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 08:53:00 am »
There are many folks out there that believe in their hearts that animals should not be killed for any reason. They are not activists but a huge cross section of our society. They have this opinion for whatever reason and I guess it is our job to show them a different perspective. Fine upstanding ethical bowhunters are the best folks in the world, I believe, to do this. Yes bowhunters in my dictionary is one word. Folks that take it on as a spokesman for this group are usually just trying to drum up support for their point of view and not the betterment of society as a whole. Don't be too offended Kevin. Take the high road and keep on keeping on. Archery is a diverse group with the anti hunting opinion one of its subgroups. These folks will always be archers. Our job to show them the light of kill and eat.