Author Topic: Cecile the Lion  (Read 11090 times)

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Cecile the Lion
« on: July 29, 2015, 01:31:00 pm »
Do you think this guy might have made an error in judgement? 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/walter-palmer-cecil-the-lion-1.3170768
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

Re: Cecile the Lion
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 02:44:22 pm »
Twice!! or have you read about the bear? Some people think laws are made for other people.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 03:04:39 pm »
I think his error in this case was to trust his paid guides. Could be a lesson to anyone that hunts out of town. Make sure your guide is legit. & if we as hunters start bashing this guy for a legal hunt on his part. Then we are just as bad as the anti's. IMHO. As for his past hunt ethics they shouldn't even be mentioned in this case, if he was legally hunting this lion.
Now on the other hand, the guides maybe a different story, punish them, for their lack of licenses, tags, permits, taking the client to the wrong area.
Put your self in this hunt (pick an animal) out of town and with a guide. Do you think you should be in trouble for the guide not having his license? I don't. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 03:30:31 pm »
Money talks, sad to say.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 04:00:16 pm »
...and he paid $54,000 to shoot a lion.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 04:09:15 pm »
The fact that they tried to destroy the tracking collar doesn't say much for his argument.  You figure that since he had a bit of a run in with the law before that he would have been more cautious and made certain that everything was above board.

If we back him up then aren't we essentially shooting ourselves in the foot?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 04:29:31 pm »
...and he shot the lion with a bow and had to finish him off 40 hours later with a gun. I'm just saying!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Will Tell

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 04:30:55 pm »
I'm so mad about this that I've swore off Lion hunting.lol

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 04:34:44 pm »
I just don't get why people pay insanely high amounts of money to shoot exotic animals.  Was he going to eat that lion?  I understand paying to go on guided hunts for elk, moose, bear, stuff like that.  But to pay $54,000 dollars to shoot something I don't even consider a meat animal just doesn't make sense to me.  I'm sure the native people over there eat lion but I'm sure he didn't pay that much to give them a couple of lion burgers. 

That dentist will never come near my teeth.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 04:50:15 pm »
The fact that they tried to destroy the tracking collar doesn't say much for his argument.  You figure that since he had a bit of a run in with the law before that he would have been more cautious and made certain that everything was above board.

If we back him up then aren't we essentially shooting ourselves in the foot?

I was ready to defend the guy based on his claims of being hoodwinked by unscrupulous guides (which does happen more than it should), but you make a good point. You don't shoot an animal with a bow, track it for 40hrs, shoot it again then skin it and not notice your guides trying to destroy a radio collar. That's kinda a clue....

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 06:53:31 pm »
Lure an animal off a national park, shoot it at night in a spotlight. Have it suffer for 40 hours (reportedly). And then not notice a radio collar? Too fishy. He also has passed the buck and not taken credit where due. Not good. He deserves all the bad press he gets.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2015, 09:08:25 pm »
Yeah,  My wife jumped on this one.  At first I just thought all the facts weren't there, like how everybody freaked out about the Rhino hunt with Corey Knowlton, but the more facts that come in, the worse it looks.  This is gonna be rocket-fuel for the anti-hunters.   

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2015, 09:33:30 pm »
I think it speaks a lot about our society though, and how emotionally stinted it is.  I'm not talking about you guys.  I'm talking about the people that are offended by EVERYTHING before they even read the details.  One lion across the globe, T-shirts in stores, what some celebrity said, etc etc etc.  It seems now "news" means telling us what we're supposed to be offended by this week.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 09:41:01 pm »
And I think people use the "they're offended" excuse to not look at they're actions. I guess if baiting a lion off of a national park and then shooting it in a spotlight makes you feel manly then more power to you. The damning evidence is he has been caught poaching before, he has been questioned about another instance. The lion he just killed had a tracking collar that he somehow overlooked while shooting it. And failed to report said collar after they found the injured animal and shot it with a rifle. This is as bad as a canned hunt. A hunt where you go and shoot a lion that was raised in a petting zoo. But, once again. If shooting your local farmers dog makes you feel tough, get at it!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2015, 09:53:40 pm »
Both sides are trying to make political hay out of it. I have noticed the "facts" morph and change almost hourly, too.

At this point authorities have only begun to make the first inquiries into the actual events. Any rush to judgment is pointless.  But isn't that the "zeitgeist" of the day?  The rush to be offended?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.