Author Topic: Can anyone tell me if these are points or just from nature?  (Read 1685 times)

Offline magick.crow

I found these on the coast of the Baltic sea near Flensburg. They were all within one meter on each other. Are they even man made or perhaps neanderthal or what? If no one knows, where should I ask next?
Thanks!

PS You guys are way overboard on the verification stuff!

Offline Buffalogobbler

Re: Can anyone tell me if these are points or just from nature?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 09:25:42 am »
The blue and the red one are definately man made, late 20th or early 21st century, probably from the middle of North America. ;)

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 09:40:50 am »
They look like they are man made to my uneducated eye. The flakes look controlled.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 10:22:10 am »
The blue and the red one are definately man made, late 20th or early 21st century, probably from the middle of North America. ;)

Kevin

I thought they were made in Germany.

Denmark, Right continent, wrong country!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 10:25:46 am »
They look like flakes made from percussion flake reduction to me. The red and blue one is made by Lego. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 10:57:14 am »
They could even be scrapers. flakes for sure.
Nice material. I'd snoop some more.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline magick.crow

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 11:37:37 am »
These beaches are about half or more flint! I am very lucky to have this! I put the legos in so you could see how big the flakes are.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 02:53:33 pm »
See if you can get this site to open it may shed some light on your finds.

www.academia.edu/.../Neanderthal_finds_in_Schleswig_Holstein_Mi

Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 09:04:25 pm »
My two cents;

Not knowing where you live or where you found these other than a mention of beaches I will give my observations.

The first three from left to right appear to have bulbs of percussion which would indicate they were broken from a larger piece of rock. The other two are harder to say due to what I see as natural ware from water and sand or other rocks. All of them appear to have some natural ware from movement and that could explain the small chipping along the edges.

I personally have two points that I found on the Ohio River banks that were in gravel and sand. They both have no sharp edges and are sorta polished smooth by the motion of the river. Sort of like lapidary rock polishing. The flakes you have appear to be worn to different degrees of polishing,grinding and rolling.

Wish I had a beach full of those...:-)
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline magick.crow

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 03:55:38 am »
Look this up on google maps and then from there go straight north to the beach and you have the exact point that they were found.
Falshöft 12, 24395 Nieby, Germany

Offline magick.crow

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 04:07:29 am »
Be sure to click google maps to photo mode so you can see the nature. It is a nice beach but compared to the NW of france the stone is nothing. In France the foundations of the houses were made of flint and the beach was nothing but foot long flintstones with a bit of white chalk stones of the same size mixed in. Of course there were some bigger and smaller pieces.

I think this is the exact place in France.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Falsh%C3%B6ft+12,+24395+Nieby,+Germany/@49.852898,0.598787,3a,75y/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1s-45olKea3rsE%2FUNyUnKMBj6I%2FAAAAAAAADyg%2FUN-g0x9ZytQ!2e4!3e12!6s%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2F-45olKea3rsE%2FUNyUnKMBj6I%2FAAAAAAAADyg%2FUN-g0x9ZytQ%2Fs203-k-no%2F!7i1024!8i768!4m2!3m1!1s0x47b322ff84f8bd07:0x711becda4d2c1d96?hl=en