Author Topic: boo backed red oak?  (Read 7042 times)

Offline sleek

boo backed red oak?
« on: July 31, 2015, 05:43:56 pm »
Im building two kids/youth bows right now. I have a red oak board and bamboo to back it. It alone wouod make one self bow but two if I back it. Looking for 30#@28. Idea being its always a shootable bow as they grow up. So, I want to avoid set, for obvious reasons. Im making them pyramid shape for ease of tiller. Do I trap the back or is red oak strong enough in compression I dont need to?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline bubby

Re: boo backed red oak?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 08:13:48 pm »
Sleek you xan probably do it either way but i think personally i would trap it
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 08:33:28 pm »
Ok bubby I will then. Thanks.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 11:47:51 pm »
Plus one on trapping. OneBow

Offline ErictheViking

"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 03:26:57 am »
Trap it to half the width of the back.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 09:57:56 pm »
I saw these two bows Sleek built and even got to shoot them!  They came out very nice.  They are not screamers by any means, but they shoot nice and draw smooth as silk.  I actually shot better with the left handed one!  I have some nice pix of them, but I should let Kevin post them.

OneBow

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 09:23:10 am »
I will get some pics of the build up later today. But if you would post your pics that would be great!

The bows took 2.5 inches of set even with back trapping. They made 30@28 and 33@28.  Smooth shooters, llts of funto shoot. The only arrow I had was almost 500 grains so that probably slowed them down some. Good target penetration however.... certainly kill any candle that gets in their way!  ( we were shooting by candle light and inhit the candle we left there in the morning on accident .)

Red oak doest like boo. Lesson learned. Perhaps if I had glued in 2 inches of reflex that would have helped. However, set helps with ease of stringing for an 11 and 8 year old.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2015, 09:56:27 am »
Based on your experience, will trap my maple backed red oak.
Wish could have stuck around to see them shot!  As it was, about halfway home I pulled over and took a snooze.  Got home a bit after midnight.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 11:40:01 am »
I will get some pics of the build up later today. But if you would post your pics that would be great! <snip>

OK - Here's what I got...

OneBow

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 11:42:18 am »
...and some more... - OneBow

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 12:00:27 pm »
Thanks Eric,  those pics are great. The tiller is a little off on both bows but I only had a little wood to work with.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 12:03:04 pm »
Very nice Kevin, wish I could have shot them to. They turned out beautiful. Sorry I wasn't able to help with the finish work on Sunday. They look like sweet shooters but their no 199! Sure would have rather worked on bows than play plumber.

Mike, glad you made it home safely bud. And thank you for the beautiful hickory stave.  Eric thanks for all of your hospitality and help with all of our bows. Maybe next time we can get your lam bow shooting. Can't wait till we can all do this again! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 12:12:53 pm »
How wide did you make the ro sleek, in my experience with it i would have gone close to two wide at the fade most boo is 1-1/2" wide giving an easy trap and toast a little reflex into the red oak not much an inch or so then glue it up with a little perry reflex and it should have come out flat at the worst, nice looking bows
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 12:38:54 pm »
How wide did you make the ro sleek, in my experience with it i would have gone close to two wide at the fade most boo is 1-1/2" wide giving an easy trap and toast a little reflex into the red oak not much an inch or so then glue it up with a little perry reflex and it should have come out flat at the worst, nice looking bows

Or just use osage the next time and get waaaay better results,and a narrower "sleeker" bow  ;)   :laugh:

But those will work n  do well for a couple of kids that wont care about the stuff us bowyers worry about  ;)