Author Topic: How do I know if a bow is really any good?  (Read 3552 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: How do I know if a bow is really any good?
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2015, 05:48:19 pm »
I shoot all my bows, and bows I made for others through a chrono,, some were dogs,, I learned from that
I shot my bows at the first Mojam through a chrono,, I learned from that
if the bow is for you and you are happy,, then it is a great bow,,,,
if you really want to know how it shoots,, give it to a really great shot and he can give you input as to how it feels that will usually be pretty informative
speed is only part of the equation for me,,, but as important as other factors,,
if your bow is smooth and quite and hits where you are looking with perfect arrow flight,, doesnt get much better than that, but there is always room to improve on your craft, shooting through a chrono can improve your bow making if you take it with a grian of salt :)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2015, 07:34:18 pm »
My first bow shot 42# at 26 inches of draw.  I shot it for two years and could hit with it to a fairly respectable degree.  I was happy with it.  I had even taken a few rabbits with it.  I liked my bow.

Then I bought a chronograph.  I got 133 fps.  My bow was a dog.  My shooting suffered, my confidence was gone, I was unhappy with the very same bow that had DELIVERED SOLID GOLD SATISFACTION UP TO THAT POINT.

My point, and I have one this time, mostly it is hidden under my hat....where was I, oh yeah, shoot it, be happy with it. NEVER put your first or your favorite bow thru a chronograph if you already like it.  Reserve that for later bows that mean less to you.

I'd killed a couple of deer with my first before I shot it through a chronograph. It chronographed 145 at about 45 pounds, coming from a lam bow that shot in the 190's I thought my selfbow was a dog.. but I still like it and took a turkey with it this spring.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2015, 08:47:43 pm »
I agree Joe...
It's all about shot placement when hunting..........
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking