Author Topic: Heat Treating & Backings Questions  (Read 1250 times)

Offline punch

Heat Treating & Backings Questions
« on: August 06, 2015, 03:16:35 pm »
I picked up a piece of white oak what looked like pretty straight grain.  After I roughed it out I notice that it had some run offs on one end.  I decided that I am going to back it.  I also want to heat treat it since white oak has a reputation to take set more so than other woods.  I have backed bows before but I have never heat treated one.  I was planning on heat treating after floor tiller, but I noticed a lot of people heat treat a second time as they approach final tiller.  So when do I apply the backing?  Do I skip the second heat treatment and apply the backing after the first treatment?  Is there a way to protect the back and still heat treat?  I was planning on backing with burlap or silk and TB III.  Thanks

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Heat Treating & Backings Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 03:44:55 pm »
Id suggest a good floor tiller close to your intended weight, then temper, then back, then finish tiller. If you don't try to temper the bow when its still 30# over your intended weight, you don't have to temper twice. And, if you temper correctly its through the thickness anyhow. Often times when folks have to temper again, they are really only heat shaping the wood a second time. When you heat shape to early the extra stiff limbs wont take as much shape as they could if they are closer to finished thickness and you end up tillering out the small bit of reflex you added. Hence why the "second tempering" usually sticks, very little wood is removed afterwards and the bow holds its shape. Not really a result of tempering, just heat shaping at the right time in the process.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 05:07:36 pm »
Can't explain it better than that pearlie
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline punch

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 07:05:33 pm »
Thank you.  That is kind of what I figured.