Author Topic: knife grinding question  (Read 20711 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: knife grinding question
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 04:44:24 pm »
I screwed this one up big time.  I was on my third round of heating to normalize the blade and I got the tip to hot.  Osage coals can put off a lot of heat.  I'll try to regrind the tip after it cools off.  It was looking so good to. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 05:04:01 pm »
I only grind to about the thickness of a dime before heat treat.
I then hand sand the blade long ways  with 120 grit to get rid of stress risers that can cause cracks during quench.
as far as normalization goes .
I heat to 1 color past non magnetic when the blade has cooled to a black heat I go back into the forge and heat it back up to just non magnetic.
and the third time  I go to just before non magnetic.
after that you can heat back to non magnetic and edge quench that file in canola oil  heated to 120 f and then temper out @ 375-400 for 2 hours

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 08:09:32 pm »
KHalverson, I read some of your older posts about heat treating.  I tried following the way you did it.  I didn't have any canola oil so I used vegetable oil.  I heated it up before I quenched the blade.  It didn't flame up like I've seen on videos.  I ran a file across it after it cooled off and it didn't bite so I think I got it somewhat hardened.  I'll do the tempering tomorrow.  Should I do one heat in the oven or two sessions? 

I lost about a 1/2" of length on the blade and had to do some reshaping on the tip.  It's not as good as it was the first time but it should still do the job.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2015, 08:44:31 pm »
  Nice save on that tip/knife Clint...I would recommend 2 temper sequences at 2hrs. each at 450...K.Halverson may give better advise on file knives...I generally work air cooled steel...154cm. Soooo many different recipes for different metals....That looks like the perfect size blade to skin a deer, Seen a lot of guy's cutting their knuckles with big blades... >:D
                                                                                                                                                 Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2015, 09:24:37 pm »
nice save!
if a sharp file doesn't bite  you got it hard enough.
do 2 heats @ 375-400

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 10:51:03 pm »
Thanks guys.  I appreciate all the help.  I'll do the tempering in the morning so I can try to get the scales on in the afternoon.  I've got two other knives in progress.  They were ebay blanks.  I got scales on both today.  I'm not sure how good the steel is. I tried drilling a hole in the grip on one and didn't get far.  My center punch rounded over on the point and the drill bit didn't do a thing to it.   

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2015, 11:00:34 pm »
What kind of sanding belt works best with knife making?  And what grit?  I need to get some better belts for my next knife.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 12:23:30 pm »
Don, that knife is sweet! How big is that blade?
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Loope

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 08:08:02 pm »
Which belts work best?  Fresh belts!  Not being sarcastic, but I have found that a used belt may feel like it still has grit, but may not cut well.  If the blade seems to be getting hot faster that normal, get a fresh belt.  As for which belts to use, I haven't tried enough different ones to make a recommendation.

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 08:58:56 pm »
I found the craftsman belts  work as good as any I have tried from else where.
I use 50 grit or hogging steel and then go to a 120 grit then hand sand.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2015, 11:53:11 pm »
I'll have to order a couple of belts.  That one was the only good one I had left.  I did the two rounds of tempering in the toaster oven today.  I think it turned out OK.  I'm waiting on some fine grit sandpaper to finish the blade up.  I'm not sure how clean I'll get the blade.  I kind of like the rough looking knives.  I want people to see it was made from an old file.  Hope to have it posted in a week or so. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 01:05:30 am »
I've been looking at wet grinding wheels.  Would they be better than a belt sander for knife grinding?

Stringman

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 08:15:34 am »
That's looking really good Clint!

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2015, 12:16:58 pm »
Looking good Clint.

Stick with a the belt grinder. Granted a 4x36 is a pain to working sometimes.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 12:41:13 pm »
I've got a 1x30 sander also.  I'm going to order some ceramic belts for that and try it next time.