Author Topic: Coming of Spring(TURKEY)  (Read 22848 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Coming of Spring(TURKEY)
« on: February 06, 2008, 10:17:18 pm »
Who will be huntin spring turkey this spring? i plan to go out and hunt with my 50 year old 55 pound longbow using either tradepoints from M-P or some glass points(if i get them sharp enough). Any info on huntin them would be appreicated. i have huntedem with gun but now got this bug so i wont be doin it with a gun no more considering the difference of having to draw while the turkey comes in. any pictures of kills or set ups would be cool. thanks all
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Little John

Re: Coming of Spring(TURKEY)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 10:32:17 pm »
No experience but good luck and have fun.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 10:43:00 pm »
Get you a Guille Suit....and do a lot of either Bait and Wait....or do like I do....do a lot of Belly Crawling to get close!! I got two this last Fall Season....and anyone that Hunts Turkey knows....that the Fall Season is the Hardest....cant call them in like you can when it is the Rut.....So practice your Turkey calls and get something to camouflage yourself good....and talk them into shooting distance....it makes you Blood Pump...and you know you are still alive!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 10:52:22 pm »
yeah in Penn. stalking is illegal in spring (to many numnuts that will shoot anything that moves.) But yeah stalk to get in close then call is what we do. we try to put them to bed the night before.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 11:00:47 pm »
You should have no problem harvesting a bird with stone points ... lots of practice and good calling techniques... should be the key to success... Mike a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2008, 11:02:31 pm »
Finding their Roost is one sure fire way of getting close...just don't let scent give you away....they have great eyes...but don't forget the Nose!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2008, 11:09:36 pm »
when you say nose you arent serious? :)i know they have good hearing and sight but the nose?
Modern Day Tramp

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2008, 11:11:18 pm »
If they could smell no one would ever kill one...Mike   A/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2008, 11:12:08 pm »
exactly what my dad say. it would be like huntin a coyote.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2008, 11:13:30 pm »
has anyone killed one not wearing camo? i know Mr. Huston has from one of his articles but has anyone else? i aint much into camo but will wear it for turkeys if i must? i know they got some great eyes.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2008, 11:37:37 pm »
If they cant smell than they have ESP!! Cause I was sitting against a Cedar at the edge of the Creek this Fall...in my Guille Sit....looked just like the Tree itself.....the Turkey came in crosswind ....and when the got just a Tad passed me with the wind hitting my back...and straight towards them....the lead Hen spooked and they all flew off over the Water and into the Salt Cedar...the only thing I could chalk it up to was that it was hot that day...in the 90's...and that Guille Suit is one Hot Muther!!! You like Turkey....I have Turkey...I feed them about 300 pounds of Corn a Month....not on purpose...but the Deer feeders are Dinner Bells to these Birds!!

[attachment deleted by admin]
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2008, 11:49:16 pm »
Huh? i guess you never know. where is it your aim. i have heard where the feathers connect with the head,(small target) or at the wing butts?
Modern Day Tramp

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2008, 11:56:36 pm »
Depends on what part of the Bird is presented to me for the Shot....if you are really good ....you can aim for where the Neck meets the Body.... but I usually take a shot that hit above the Breast under the wings ...in lets say their Arm Pit region  :o
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2008, 12:03:47 am »
like where the wing butts are? :-\ or down a bit?
Modern Day Tramp

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2008, 12:34:56 am »
I like to follow the Leg up the Body about 2-3 inches into the Wig...and shoot for this area....you normally will get the joint of the wing and definitely get vital on the way in...also I dint try for a thru and thru shot either...it is a lot harder for these big Birds to fly off...if they have an arrow stuck in them....if you hit low in the Guts....they can fly off 10-200 yards and it makes finding them a lot harder
2024...We Will Overcome