Author Topic: Coming of Spring(TURKEY)  (Read 22477 times)

Offline billy

Re: Coming of Spring(TURKEY)
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2008, 11:58:42 am »
I got my turkey last April.  This wasn't just my first turkey with a primitive bow, it my very first and ONLY turkey I have ever killed.  I aimed a few inches above where the leg enters the belly area.  I missed the lungs, but cut a major artery.  He only ran 40-50 feet before dropping.  I was hunting out of my bro's Double Bull blind.  We had seen the turkeys roost the night before, so we snuck in before daylight and set up along the edge of the woods.  My bro put a lone hen decoy 10 yards in front of the blind, and when all the turkeys flew down the next morning, two came to us (one jake and one 2 year old gobbler).  One well-placed shot with my stone tipped rivercane arrow, launched from my osage bow brought the gobbler down pronto.

I'll be back out in the woods this spring, trying for another one.  Hopefully I'll get lucky.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 12:12:15 pm by billy »
Marietta, Georgia

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 01:21:30 pm »
Good job with the stick and stone ... nice looking bird.. and a great looking bow... Mike A/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2008, 02:05:37 pm »
has anyone killed one not wearing camo?
Millions of Indians.  ;D
Ok, being a bit of a smart-elbow there, they didn't have Mossy Oak Breakup, but I'm sure that they effectively used natural cover and often probably mud or paint for camo. turkeys see really well in color, so camo is a definate help-either modern camo or just wearing clothes that blend into the color scheme and texture of the woods around you.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

jamie

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2008, 02:30:51 pm »
i hunt without camo all the time. and i stalk them all the time. sometimes i win sometimes i lose. i like to stalk in as close as possible and try to pick a tree with two or more trunks to shoot through.  my favorite shot is from behind the bird between the shoulder blades. if the fan is up ill shoot for the bung and skewer the bird. if i cant take those shots i go for the head and neck. turkey wings are like armor. if you hit it in the wrong spot it will stop an arra. if im using steel i use guillitines and head shots. best modern head for poppin birds heads off.peace

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2008, 04:02:24 pm »
If it is legal to use decoys where you hunt get yourself a JAKE decoy.
Set him out in front of your setup about 10 to 15 yards away.
Make sure that he is facing your set up.  Head on.
Call in a big Tom Turkey.  When the big Tom gets up to the Jake decoy he will try to show him up by out strutting him.
The big Tom will look the Jake straight in the face and strut up big.
This will offer you a shot at his rear. (Bung)
And his head will most likely be covered by his fan so he cant see you.

I have seen this work.  Just not for me yet.

Thanks
David
David Key / N.W. Alabama

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2008, 05:32:21 pm »
Like Jamie said. I dont use camo either. Turkeys CAN smell their sense of smell is just not as developed as say a deer er a hawg. They rely on great eyesight and hearing as their first line of defense. I take mostly neck shots (at the base )......bob

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2008, 06:19:40 pm »
okay thanks guys i will definitely be practicing a lot before then.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Kegan

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2008, 09:00:57 pm »
Thanks for the topic. This wil be my second season, hopefully first successful one ;).

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2008, 09:07:50 pm »
   A Turkey biologist will tell you that there is no proof that a turkey can smell. If that was true, there would be a ton of crap in Cabello's and Bass Pro shop for that problem. Yankee, more than likely , you moved. They have 3/4 vision without moving their head. They can literally see behind  themselves. I shot the one in the hunting pictures with no shirt on. I was in a Bull Blind  though. ;) I called them in and it was fall birds. I put Jake decoys out and called. The Big Boys came to kick some but.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2008, 09:58:15 pm »
Well, I didn't get a tag again this year.  ::)
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2008, 10:53:16 pm »
  I dont always believe what bio's say, like I dont always believe what DNR says. Seen both them foks backtrack and hem an haw too many times in my life. I have seen them (turkeys ) use their sense of smell ta find a meal be it berries er corn that has been put out fer them and was covered with hay so they could not see it. As far as Cabela's an Bass Pro Shop they probably concentrate on whats the common fact and popular-----------their eyes. Lots of sales there fer them in camo blah-blah-blah...........bob

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2008, 11:02:07 pm »
people that absolutely believe you need camo to get close and shoot will buy whatever they sell.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2008, 11:13:39 pm »
Well I for one, Don't believe they can smell well enough to pick up human scent.  I've killed a few 'ol boss gobblers and many were close enough to spit on.  Some saw me move and spooked, but I have never thought one smelled me and i've been real close to more than a semi could haul!   Saw Filer

[attachment deleted by admin]
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2008, 11:32:30 pm »
  Sawfiler, I've had hens jump across my legs. I've even had people tell me Buzzards can smell dead animals up in the air while they are flying. Check out the nose on a bird, Biologicaly, they are not made for long range sniffin'.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

jamie

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2008, 11:33:02 pm »
lovr the spurs, very cool