Author Topic: Coming of Spring(TURKEY)  (Read 22834 times)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Coming of Spring(TURKEY)
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2008, 11:33:48 pm »
Don't spose you have any trouble locating fletching material Shannon ;)?
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2008, 11:37:46 pm »
Naw, I save all mine and have all my friends including a check station and a taxidermy shop or two save them for me.. I have 4 or 5 hundred I need to send out and have ground.  I usaully have Raven Arrows do it for me, she grinds all my right wing in exchange for the left wing.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2008, 11:48:16 pm »
  What do you do with the wing bones?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2008, 11:57:02 pm »
Chuck them. I never really thought about keeping them for calls since I use mostly mouth and friction calls.. If you wanted some, I suppose I could save you a few this spring..
  Btw, i'm not a poacher.  I hunt Ky and Tn spring and fall seasons. That's usually good for 6 spring birds and 2 or 3 fall birds.  Minuteman said it well when he described me as "a turkey huntin fool" ;D
  Two years ago I hunted 27 mornings straight and saw 13 gobblers fall.  I guess you could say I like it a little.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 12:58:34 am by Saw Filer »
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2008, 12:24:22 am »
  I'm just like you. I'll take 2 weeks vacation and hunt states as far as I can drive. I need my Merriam for my Grand Slam. Then it's off to Costa Rica. Turkey is my favorite hunt, Nothing like hearing those Wippowills and Owls  just before the "witching" hour.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2008, 12:28:57 am »
I love being up in the mountain before daybreak laying in the leaves waiting to hear that, Gobble gobble Gobble. its awesome. :)
Modern Day Tramp

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2008, 12:31:25 am »
Down here it's the Owl's and the Coyotes....right before the Turkey come down from Roost....the Coyotes start to making all kinds of Hell....sounds a lot like a lot of Hounds on a hot trail :o
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2008, 12:41:26 am »
up here it is wolves and grizzlies.... lol .. Hawk....A/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2008, 01:10:59 am »
Just about everywhere I hunt has a bunch of barred owls. I never have to use a locater call to get one to gobble.  Most of the time they won't work around here anyway >:(. Before season opens, every Dick, Tom and Harry around just has to go out and blow on owl calls till there blue in the face, just to make them gobble.  I love to hear it, but I want a gun or bow in my hand when I do. I think an old bird gets wise pretty quick to locater calls. Seasons a couple months away and i'm already starting to get butterflies in my stomach just thinking about it.
  I dream of killing one of them long spurred Osceola's one day.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2008, 08:30:58 am »
o yeah we got plenty of yodlers too. and we use owl calles to locate
Modern Day Tramp

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2008, 10:39:18 am »
  Hunting Osceola's is a different kind of hunt. These birds aren't afraid if getting their feet wet. And they have some nice hooks.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline lowell

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2008, 10:13:59 pm »
I like the spurs too.  Wish I had kept all of mine that way!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2008, 11:09:57 pm »
  The length of the spurs is the only true way of aging a Tom.   A bump , a late hatch 1 year old. A bump with a point a early hatch Jake, 1 year old. Short , 1", 1 1/4" sharp, 2 year old. NICE 1 1/2" ,1 3/4" , (2" approaching in the record category) hooked(curved),spurs, 3 years old or more. Most of them don't live much longer than that.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2008, 11:54:52 pm »
Around here it takes at least 4 years for a gobbler to get 1-1/2" spurs. A jake would have a bump, a two year old would be less than an inch to a blunt 1", a three year old will be from a sharp inch to 1-1/4 and a 4 year old will usually be over 1-3/8.  There's just something about them osceolas, they seem to have longer spurs than these easterns around here.

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2008, 12:08:57 am »
have any of you seen hens with beards? i had one land some couple feet from me last year. i though about shootin since it had a beard and all and didn't. then my dad says after she flew, you coulda shot her now that i think of it.
Modern Day Tramp