Author Topic: Elm Hall Raffle Bow Builds  (Read 23800 times)

blackhawk

Elm Hall Raffle Bow Builds
« on: August 04, 2015, 09:28:23 am »
This past weekend at the Elm Hall shoot a bunch of us were allowed to cut elm on the property with the intentions of making a bow from  it,and then donating it back to the club next year for there raffle table. Id like for all those participating to post there progress here(but its not obligatory). It wood be neat to see what everyones cooking,and whats becoming of everyones staves. And hopefully this will help generate interest for the raffle and club. A group of us went out to cut,and we were like a bunch of giddy school girls,or like kids in a candy store free to choose anything they want.

I found mine growing right next to a larger pine tree that caused it to grow straight up and clean clean. Paul and ryan took sections from further up from the trunk section i took. Waste not want not. I was able to split mine in half,and the bark peeled off easily. Here they are after i got home. I get two shots to get one right.

Depending on some variables i might try a his and hers combo?  ???

Ok...now lets see and hear what everyone else is doing.... 8)

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: Elm Hall Raffle Bow Builds
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 09:47:48 am »
Those both look like fun chris.  Very nice and clean.  Can't wait tinsee what you come up with. :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 10:10:26 am »
Very nice Chris, I got 1/2 of the one Matt cut,I got it roughed  out last evening, it is also very clean and pretty straight with a little natural reflex. ;) This should be fun and hope it helps out the club a bit in the process. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 10:27:39 am »
bet this is gonna be lotsa fun reading!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 12:54:19 pm »
Mine is just a 3" x 72" debarked pole for now, my bark was an absolute b**ch to get off. Ill leave it whole for at least a few months, then rip it in half, then rough out a half to dry for at least another few months. Not sure if I want to go for a his and her combo, or a dad and kid combo. How cool would it be to carry around a bow just like the ol' mans, only smaller.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 05:55:09 pm »
Chris and Chris,
I kinda like the His and Hers idea...... :) ;)
Can't wait to see what you guys come up with.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Drewster

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 06:14:28 pm »
Those are fine looking staves Chris.  Yeah, looking forward to following this thread.
Drew - Boone, NC

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 06:16:34 pm »
Welp...got one of mine cut out to parallel dimensions besides the handle thickness being a lil thicker...now its time to watch the grass grow and play the wait for it to dry game. ;)

We'll see bill...we'll see ;)

Thanks drewster ;)

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 06:29:57 pm »
Can't wait to get my stave but it needs to lose some weight no use paying to ship water
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 04:44:40 am »
I got 2 out of my piece, an adult bow and a kids bow, I got them roughed in and clamped to a form to dry for a while so they don't warp. ;)
  Pappy.
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 07:57:32 am »
Ya Pappy , with Elm there aint no telling which way it will move as it drys
But you will soon find out
Have fun
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 09:03:20 am »
I cut a few.  The one that I shared with Pappy, bark peeled off like an onion.  The other isn't going to come off as easy.  Currently, they are leaned up in my shop.  I'll get to reducing them after the GLLI shoot this weekend. 
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Stringman

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 11:00:54 am »
This is a fun idea, gonna enjoy watching this one.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 11:23:13 am »
I'm hoping to get to go to Elm Hall next year, ...but if I cannot, might there be a away to allow us to remotely purchase raffle tickets for the bows posted here for the event?  ...or is it a must be present to win kinda thing?  I expect the winner would have to pay for or arrange their own shipping if he/she were remote from Elm Hall.

OneBow

blackhawk

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 12:29:56 pm »
I'm hoping to get to go to Elm Hall next year, ...but if I cannot, might there be a away to allow us to remotely purchase raffle tickets for the bows posted here for the event?  ...or is it a must be present to win kinda thing?  I expect the winner would have to pay for or arrange their own shipping if he/she were remote from Elm Hall.

OneBow

Eric im sure we can make that work as the time gets closer to next years shoot. It wood be pretty simple for someone who wasnt going to be able to be there to have some tickets in the raffle boxes with there name on them. Just get ahold of someone thats for sure gonna be there and send them some money,and letting them know how many tickets you want,and how many tickets per item as you will be able to put in as many in a box as ya want. Maybe pearly or someone who is close to the club and for sure will be there can help ya out. Im to far away to be a reliable present person. So yeah...anyone who wont be able to make it can possibly put tickets in without being present im assuming.

I remember a couple years ago when cipriano won patb's  bow at the Tennessee  Classics raffle without being present...he sent money to scott. Scott and all of us were in disbelief...lol :laugh: