Author Topic: The Gathering Last Weekend in Springfield, MO  (Read 8990 times)

Offline Onebowonder

The Gathering Last Weekend in Springfield, MO
« on: August 04, 2015, 04:47:03 pm »
Not an EVENT as much as just a meet-up, ...but I didn't know where else to post it.  We had been talking about doing something for a while and just finally did it.  A few of us got together for some bow building under the shade trees in my yard.  It was kinda an informal thing, but it was lots of fun.  We had several bows worked on and made.  There was a little test shooting at my backyard 'range'.  Some good eating, and LOT's of bow building talk.  There was even a little shooting of Knoll's slingshots thru the Chrono.  (Geez ole' Pete are those little things FAST!!!)

I was running around half the time looking for one tool or another and didn't get many pictures, but here are a few.  Some of the other guys that came might post more... 

The fourth one down was a bit of glue that my brother let leak out of the tube onto a rock.  It dried up to look for the world like some kind of miniature snake!

OneBow

Offline Onebowonder

Re: The Gathering Last Weekend in Springfield, MO
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 04:51:50 pm »
...a couple more I have.

This was the moment when Sleek thought he was checking out the finish on a bow, ...but got a BIG surprise!

Onebow

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 08:43:56 pm »
And boy what a surprise!  That quick little bow is a sweet shooter! Such a great and awesome bow ol Josh decided to name it after a great and awesome fellow.... me! Was sure humbled to see the name sleek written on it. Who ever gets that trade bow is getting an awesome bow!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 08:52:29 pm »

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 08:57:04 pm »

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 09:02:35 pm »
Nice look'n bows there boys............. :) :) :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 09:38:36 pm »
It was hilarious listening to Josh pumping Sleek for feedback on the bow Josh was making for the trade.  How's it feel in your hand?  How ya feel about its balance?  How's it shoot?
Sleek had no idea that the bow was soon to be HIS!
 ;)    :D     ;)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 09:52:24 pm »
Nice pictures.  Small gatherings like that are a lot of fun.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2015, 12:00:34 am »
The gathering sure was a lot of fun! Got to spend some time working on bows, visiting with friends and eating some good food! There was even a first bow finished by OneBow's nephew. Knolls slingshots are super fast. The first shot I pit through the chronograph was 218fps! Here is a few pictures I managed to take and get ahold of. Patrick

Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 04:47:10 am »
Looks like a mighty fine time to me. ;)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2015, 05:28:07 am »
As ya can determine from length of shadows, it WAS past noon before 1st tab was popped!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2015, 07:52:56 am »
You're right pappy, it sure was a good time!

Knoll, the only problem was,that's if I remember right, it was closer to 1 o'clock! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 11:16:15 am »
It was like the party that wouldn't end!   :) :) :)  We even did some night shooting by candle light! Real sorry I didn't get pix of that bit! ...OK, so it was just a Citronella set up under the target so we could see it, ...but hey how much high class finery do you expect from a bunch of primitive bowyers???  I think the last tail lights pulled off my lot around 1 AM, ...and then I was back out there in the morning doing some more till about 7 PM the next day.  We've got to do it again soon.  A bit too much rain right now, but we'll need to find another opportunity real soon.

If you live proximal to the Springfield, MO area or would be willing to drive a bit to get here, let me know.  When we get something else planned I'll make sure to let you know about the next gathering we do.  We are not a closed group at all and would be happy to accommodate as many PA types as will fit beneath my shade trees.  When we out grow that space we'll find another!

OneBow

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 11:50:09 am »
Eric and I both learned something interesting on day two... we both shoot pretty dang good left handed. Im gonna focus on building my left hand shooting strength up, been plenty of times the deer snuck up on the wrong side of me.

Eric, I owe you one candle.....

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 12:00:44 pm »
Mike boozing it up.......as usual :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.