Author Topic: The Gathering Last Weekend in Springfield, MO  (Read 8987 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: The Gathering Last Weekend in Springfield, MO
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 12:45:45 pm »
It was like the party that wouldn't end!   :) :) :)  We even did some night shooting by candle light! Real sorry I didn't get pix of that bit! ...OK, so it was just a Citronella set up under the target so we could see it, ...but hey how much high class finery do you expect from a bunch of primitive bowyers???  I think the last tail lights pulled off my lot around 1 AM, ...and then I was back out there in the morning doing some more till about 7 PM the next day.  We've got to do it again soon.  A bit too much rain right now, but we'll need to find another opportunity real soon.

If you live proximal to the Springfield, MO area or would be willing to drive a bit to get here, let me know.  When we get something else planned I'll make sure to let you know about the next gathering we do.  We are not a closed group at all and would be happy to accommodate as many PA types as will fit beneath my shade trees.  When we out grow that space we'll find another!

OneBow

+1! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 06:57:45 pm »
As ya can determine from length of shadows, it WAS past noon before 1st tab was popped!
Mike , looks like an early morning pic to me........sun looks low in the east..... >:D :) ;)
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2015, 04:29:56 pm »
It sounds and looks like a good time was had by all.
Oh, it's obvious in that photo that the sun was well over the yardarm so splicing the main brace is permitted...  ;)

Offline sleek

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2015, 06:09:09 pm »
Oh, it's obvious in that photo that the sun was well over the yardarm so splicing the main brace is permitted...  ;)

Now thats salty!
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2015, 09:23:28 am »

Now thats salty!

Yes, yes I am...  :D

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2015, 01:01:16 pm »

Now thats salty!

I'm pretty sure this must be some kind of Navy Boy banter, ...but I do not get it.  I think it amounts to a justification for drinking a perfectly cold beer at some odd hour of the day.  In the Army, their were no odd hours of the day for drinking a cold beer, so I don't really understand the issue...

I'm sure my Marine Corps buddies understand where I'm coming from.  I have literally seen one of them pour a cold Coors over shredded wheat right before a formation run!  The Air Force guys are still trying to figure out how to drink a cold beer without Civilian Contractors there to hand them a napkin and open the can.

OneBow
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 03:56:41 pm by Onebowonder »

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2015, 01:15:41 pm »
http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/salty

Not included there but also worthy of reference,
  • Salty – One whose level of experience is extreme. One who is "in the know" regarding matters maritime.
http://www.hazegray.org/faq/slang2.htm

OneBow

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2015, 01:24:50 pm »

Now thats salty!

I'm pretty sure this must be some kind of Navy Boy banter, ...but I do not get it.  I think it amounts to a justification for drinking a perfectly cold beer at some odd hour of the day.  In the Army, their were no odd hours of the day for drinking a cold beer, so I don't really understand the issue...

I'm sure my Marine Corps buddies understand where I'm coming from.  I have literally seen one of them poor a cold Coors over shredded wheat right before a formation run!  The Air Force guys are still trying to figure out how to drink a cold beer without Civilian Contractors there to hand them a napkin and open the can.

OneBow

HURAH!! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline sleek

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2015, 03:28:34 pm »
The longer one is out to sea the more salty you become. Sea time is the only way to become salty. The idea is you are oit in the salty air so long you yourself,  like your ship, become salty. A salty person develops knowledge of the ways of the seas, of his ship, and developes the necessary no b.s. attitude it takes to handle the environment
 All of this is referred to as salty.

As a youngun I was once bragging about my sea time. I was put in my place when told by the other guy, " I have more time on a salt water shitter than you have in the navy. " The reference there is the navy doesnt waste fresh water on toilets, we use sea water. He had more time on the crapper than I had in service.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2015, 02:05:50 pm »
...and we are planning another gathering now for the 12th of September.  Same deal as before, we'll start early on Saturday morning (around 8 am) and work till whenever.  All PAer's are welcome.  Please let us know either by PM or post here on the PA site.  If there is interest, we may continue over into Sunday the 13th.  I made a new post in this section as an announcement and have put a link below to that...

OneBow

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,53933.0.html

Offline sleek

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2015, 02:11:22 pm »
Hey! Thats my birthday!  I wanna go!