Author Topic: New to hunting, Want an elk with my self bow  (Read 6163 times)

Offline Archeryrocks

New to hunting, Want an elk with my self bow
« on: August 05, 2015, 02:10:47 pm »
Hey all, I am John I saw some videos on youtube a little over two years ago about making a self bow. Since then I have made several bows and My most recent bow success is a 50# hickory board bow I have it backed with some rattle snake skin and it shoots about 150 fps with the arrows I plan to use. Now that I have started to get better at shooting I'm considering doing some hunting. I have never hunted before. I shot a few jack rabbits but nothing else with a 22lr. I recently got my hunters safety and I plan on making a stronger bow for large game. I'm in northern Utah and I plan on trying to take a few grouse and rabbits (I've seen grouse hiking) this season. Really I would like to do an Elk hunt next year because the meat is better than deer. I have little to no idea where to start. For now it would just be for meat I don't need the antlers. I would like any suggestion available for finding elk how to go about getting some meat in the freezer.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: New to hunting, Want an elk with my self bow
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 02:14:06 pm »
Where at in Norther Utah?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Archeryrocks

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 02:36:15 pm »
I live in Ogden and so I can pick up a general archery tag for elk. and head up to Monte Cristo or head up Cache valley area or out towards the Uintahs. I've spent my life fishing and not hunting so when I would see elk or deer it was more by chance than anything.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 03:22:26 pm »
I live in Sandy. the Wasatch is as good a place as any. It is tough hunting, but the animals are there. I just started a new job or I would be up there this season. 10 days!

Offline Archeryrocks

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 01:15:19 pm »
That is sweet, I've never seen elk in the wasatch area I see deer in ogden all the time and in bountiful I know they have lots of deer including some nice bucks come down in the winter. I have see mountain goats on the side of the mountain next to mount olympus. where could I start to look I don't plan on hunting till next year because I want a stronger bow and I want time to familiarize myself with my quarry.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 01:36:14 pm »
You more than likely don't see them because they are ninjas. Elk are a tough beast to hunt. They are very aware of what is going on around them, and rarely wait to see if you are a threat before they take off! Hunting the Wasatch is tough. It is lots of tough hiking, but that seems to thin out the weekend warriors, or the road hunters. Take some time and hike around. I have a few friends who make several trips to the areas they hunt to pack in food and water to store in caches so they don't have to pack much in when it comes time to hunt.

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2015, 11:04:19 pm »
Getting an elk with a self bow is a lofty goal, well doable but not easy. The main thing is doing a lot of studying maps, scouting, finding a place that you would like to hunt and being familiar with it. If you don't have a pack horse or are a real athlete you can eliminate about a lot of country, I would hunt pretty much up hill from some kind of a road. I have elk hunted in SW Colorado for years and know lots of country, mostly from summer horse back scouting. I can hunt remote areas and know I will be able to remove an animal. Any way bow hunting for elk is the ultimate so try to find an area you like, be sure you can shoot well and know you are a special kind of hunter. Season starts here in three weeks.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 12:05:35 am »
Next Saturday here in Utah!

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 12:36:56 pm »
Wow, and good luck.        Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Archeryrocks

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2015, 02:34:51 pm »
Yeah I'm waiting until next year because I want to make sure that I have enough time to really get to know the areas that I want to hunt and to really get in good shape and know my archery skills are in tune. right now with my 50lb bow I am very comfortable with 15 yard shots. I plan on making a bow that is 60 to 65 lbs. I make some single bevel broadheads out of 1084 high carbon steel. Any suggestions on finding elk?

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2015, 03:08:26 pm »
Look for sign. Game cameras. Ask other hunters. The areas I know are all down here by me. They are there. They are just ghosts. Not like deer in that they will wait to see you to make sure you aren't a threat. For their size they are big chickens! That is why they are so difficult to hunt!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 03:34:01 pm »
Archeryrocks, be sure you don't over bow yourself. I'd rather shoot a 50# bow I know I can pull when the time comes than a 60# to 65# that I might not be able to shoot at crunch time. A well placed, very sharp arrow from a 50# bow will do the trick.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 05:03:51 pm »
Hey John! I've been writing and re-writing a reply to you to cover what I think will be helpful, but at the moment what seems salient is this:

Have you ever butchered a deer?
The process of quartering an animal to pack it out if the wilderness is something best learned by doing. Knowing what knife to use (I'm partial to Havalon knives), how to use it, and how not to make mistakes (like puncturing the guts trying to get the end of the backstrap, if you're using the gutless method) Find some folks in your area and offer to help them pack and butcher, deer, elk, antelope, they're all very similar except in body size. And body size, that brings me to my second question.

What is your plan once the elk is on the ground?
If you're hunting public land, you're going to be miles from roads in order to be successful. People do occasionally luck into animals right out of the trailhead, but luck isn't something you should ever plan on. An elk is not twice as big as a deer. An elk is not three times as big as a deer. An adult elk is four to five times bigger than a deer - and that fact means that you will need to break the animal down into quarters, backstraps, neck and rib meat, and pack it out in multiple loads. A single elk quarter can weigh as much as an entire quartered deer. That fact means that one of two things need to happen: you need to be able to hike for a certain number of miles with about 80-100lbs on your back four or five times in succession (this can take days) or you need to have friends who are willing to help you do so at a moments notice. Or a friend with horses or pack animals.

Other than flavor, what are your objections to hunting deer?
It's my opinion that deer and antelope are a more manageable way to acquire the skills for finding, hunting, killing, and processing an ungulate than starting off with elk. Don't get me wrong, the elk bug has bit me hard - I understand the fascination. But I wouldn't knock deer meat either. Chances are, if you've eaten deer and didn't like it, it's because it was processed by some doofus who thinks letting an animal rot in their garage for two weeks is "aging" the meat. I could feed you some whitetail and mule deer steaks that are sweeter and milder than beef, no gamey funk at all. The secret is cooling and processing everything quickly, and if it needs to age, it ages in the freezer.

I sent you a PM with my phone number, feel free to call and chat if you want my insight. Or post em here if you think other people could gain from the knowledge.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 05:30:18 pm »
Here's a teaser for you, too. Had a lot of success on my last scouting mission. I'm going to go back in there in a couple weeks, before daylight, to listen and see if the boys have started talking yet. This area is four miles and 2,000 vertical feet from the trailhead. I have a few good friends on the pack-out shortlist.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2015, 10:18:18 am »
Andrea, Luckily for us Utahns, there are plenty of people in the hunting community willing to help. I have been on hunts where hikers helped pack a bull moose out 5 miles. I have personally gutted and drug out deer for people who didn't know what they were doing. One of those was gut shot, there is no doubt what has happened when you hear a deer scream like that. The same guy didn't have a sharp knife, a knife sharpener, or even rope or twine! Be prepared!