Author Topic: Ice Wine?  (Read 4793 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Ice Wine?
« on: August 09, 2015, 03:42:35 pm »
Has anyone ever made ice wine? I have a bunch of apples that go to waste every year. How is it done?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Stoker

Re: Ice Wine?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 06:58:25 pm »
Not a expert in ice wine making.. But i watched a program once.. You need a late season apple that can hang on the tree and not rot and wait for a cold spell.. Get them in juice or mash your call.. But time was of the essence..Be ready.. Would like to try it but my apples are too early for that..
Thanks leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 07:00:43 pm »
Mine tree is in a shaded area and the fruit never fully ripen. They for sure ferment in the winter. Smells just like wine all around the tree on warm winter days!

Offline Stoker

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 07:04:17 pm »
Sounds like a winner to me.. Try different stages in the winter.. What could happen you get ice apple vinager be good on coleslaw..
Thanks leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 07:32:17 pm »
Sounds like something Arctic Jesus would make.  >:D   ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 10:30:54 am »
I want to cut the tree down, as the fruit never really gets ripe. My wife is against the idea, and thinks I only want to cut it down for bow wood. She knows me well. Besides cow food, the apples are just more work. I haven't sprayed them because they never ripen. We will give this a shot and see how it turns out!

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 01:01:13 pm »
Ice Wine normally is a very special thing.

The fruits (vineberries, but you can try apples as well) have to be frozen. I think -10° Celsius over one or two days and then you can harvest the fruits and press them..... so you will get an essence of sugar, acid and other tasty ingredients cause the water is frozen.

From this result of your pressing, you have to made vine and it will be sweet and sour and  a bunch of aromatic explosion.....
A good bootle of ice vine is normally sold for a high price by the vinemaker.

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 05:17:42 pm »
If you try this don't use bread yeast it'll be nasty. You should be able to find cider or champagne yeast at a local homebrew store or online. You could also try just letting the natural yeast do it's thing, but might end up with some strange stuff.
Trevor

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 06:33:27 pm »
Yeah. it is wine all by itself. My trash cans sit under the tree, all winter it smells like wine.

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 09:34:38 am »
Smell and taste don't always match up though. I'm not saying don't try it, you could very well end up with something amazing. There's just a chance it could go the other way too. Googling Lambic (naturally fermented beer) might give you some pointers/idea of the sort of thing you might end up with.
Trevor

Offline stickbender

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2015, 04:39:44 pm »
     Are you meaning "Apple Cider" or Wine?  I used to buy a certain brand of apple juice, and let sit a bit, and it would get pretty tasty, just like the cider, I used to buy in England.  Nice head even.  Let us know how this turns out.  First time I have heard of Ice Wine.  I had a friend who said his dad, would take a pumpkin, during Halloween, and cut the top out, and clean out all the seeds out, and and put a little brewers yeast,and brown sugar, or just brown sugar, and pack it to the top, and then put the top back on the pumpkin, and pour melted wax around the cut, to seal the top, and just leave it for a month or so, and I think he said he put it in a bucket, or pan.  But his dad would wait till the thing was brown looking, and mushey, and he take the top off, and get the juice out, and strain it, and put it in the refrigerator. Pumpkin Brandy?  I don't remember the exact process, this was when I was a kid.  But do let us know if you are successful.  Don't cut the tree down.  Trim the shade around it, and get nice apples.
Also fertilize it after the fruit is gone.  Good luck.

Wayne
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 11:04:00 pm by stickbender »