Author Topic: Hello all, from western Victoria, Australia  (Read 5194 times)

Offline cadet

Hello all, from western Victoria, Australia
« on: August 10, 2015, 08:31:29 pm »
Hello all.
I've been a long-time hunter and shooter (mostly of small game), but never really an archer or bowyer.
I've also had a long-time love of timber how it looks, how it smells, what it can do and hat can be done with it; I have modest woodworking skills.
I've also a bit of an interest in history, being (among other things) an English and History teacher.
Somewhere along the way I also picked up an interest in weaponry and military history, having sometimes been an infantryman.
You can probably see where this is going:
I recently thought I'd have a go at bow making, just for fun, so I did a lot of googling, then sifted through the mouldings and dressed boards at a local hardware store and picked up some straight-grained pieces of 11mmx29mm / 1/2"x1 1/4" and 19mmx42 / 3/4x1 1/2 red oak, knocked up a basic tillering board, and built some bows with a plane, some rasps and files, a draw knife.  I used 11x29 and made a couple of 5', 20lb@28" longbows, and turned my worst piece of 19x42 into a 6' 55lb bow.  So far they've survived and are an absolute hoot, and I've learned about tillering etc probably the best way possible - by having a go.
Now, in deference to my interest in history, infantry, hunting, woodwork etc, I have developed the ambition to build a 100lb English warbow out of a split stave!  Yew and other premium bow woods are probably unobtanium here, but I've read that hawthorn would be suitable self-bow timber, if only long and straight enough pieces were available.  There's a lot of decades-neglected hawthorn hedging - with some big, straight, clear trunks - around here... There's a bit of elm as well; maybe I'll also try some local timbers - sugar gum etc.
Looking forward to reading and learning a lot here.
Cheers.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Hello all, from western Victoria, Australia
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 10:52:39 pm »
Welcome Cadet. Check out our War Bow thread. Lots of excellent builders with lots of experience and very generous with their knowledge. Don't forget the rest of us, though. We all love seeing other folk's bows no matter what they are.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 11:08:42 pm »
Welcome, I just jointed a few days ago and let me say, this place is awesome! I have never seen a greater collection of primitive archery knowledge and to top it all of everyone is always kind and generous to one another! A true example of how society should function in real life!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 11:18:41 pm »
If your elm is like ours elm is your ticket to a wonderful war bow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 11:28:00 pm »
There is a certain joy in pulling whispy thin curls off a piece of wood with a well made hand tool, whilst enjoying the smell of the wood and the look of the grain.  I get that. 

Welcome.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline cadet

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 06:38:06 pm »
Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, I've been trawling through the warbow section in particular.  It seems you could probably keep learning about such things forever...

Gee, verifying I'm not a spam bot in 7 different ways every time I post gets old...!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 07:44:13 pm »
It should end soon, Cadet. We had a flood of spammers hit us recently and we are trying to discourage them. Sorry for your inconvenience.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cadet

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 08:46:44 pm »
Ah, it looks like I'm good to go now, ta.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 09:33:10 pm »
 8)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 09:18:18 am »
Welcome, hope you enjoy. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good