Author Topic: Australian warbow enthusiasts?  (Read 3394 times)

Offline cadet

Australian warbow enthusiasts?
« on: August 11, 2015, 08:29:01 pm »
Any Australian warbow enthusiasts here?  I've seen and emailed these folks: http://warbowaustralia.weebly.com/index.html , but I'm not sure how active they are...
It'd be good to share ideas and knowledge with others about local conditions, materials, supplies etc.
Ta.

Edit:
Aaand it seems they've got an incorrect email address on their website, and the owner of that address would like them to change it!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 11:22:39 pm by cadet »

Offline WillS

Re: Australian warbow enthusiasts?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 06:14:19 am »
If you're on Facebook, get in touch with Justin Webb, he's a cracking bloke and shoots and makes heavy warbows.  Also while not strictly that close, the best group you'll find is in NZ, the "English War Bows NZ" guys.  They make and shoot some exceptional bows and really know their stuff.

Offline cadet

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 07:53:38 pm »
Thanks for that.

Offline meanewood

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 04:27:26 am »
Hi
I live in Adelaide, happy to share any info

Offline Aussie Yeoman

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 04:54:59 am »
There're a couple on the forum of www.ozbow.net, and they use native woods too.

Dave
Articles for the beginning bowyer, with Australian bowyers in mind:

http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/articles/tutorials

Offline colin1991

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2015, 08:48:13 am »
G'day Cadet,

I'm a very keen warbow enthusiast up here in South East QLD, could very well be one of the blokes Dave was referring to on Ozbow as well.  I post a lot of the bows I make and shoot on there.

Where  abouts are you located in the country?

Cheers,

Colin

Offline cadet

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 09:17:23 pm »
I reckon we might have seen each other on ozbow, Colin!  I'm in central Vic.  You're likely to find some like-minded folks here re EWBs
Haven't forgotten about those elm saplings, just have a heap of other stuff to work through, along with a family and a real job in the real world!  But I will cut some soon.

Offline colin1991

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 07:56:04 am »
Thought it was one and the same "cadet"  :D

Plenty of folks on here on some Fb groups I'm in as well and all keen on Warbows.

If you're on FB have a look for English Warbows QLD (Aust)... its a new group I've started to get some active warbow shooters doing things around the country.  Love to see footage of guys shooting, gear, targets etc go up on it for all to see.

Justin runs Aus warbow society on fb and from what I've heard its pretty much dead. I was a member but was removed by the admins without a legit reason. But they don't hold any events nor do they keep any form of records that I am aware of. 

Sooner you can cut the staves the sooner you can put a bend in them mate  ;) always keen to see what folks are making around Aus with the woods we can get.