Author Topic: Best way to treat Redbud Stave  (Read 1201 times)

Offline SDBurntStick

Best way to treat Redbud Stave
« on: September 01, 2021, 07:53:02 pm »
So I have a Redbud tree that I cut a branch off of to try out for a bow.  If it works out the tree has lots of staves in it.  I hear it is in the same family as locust, so do I treat it that way?  Let season and then debark and chase to heartwood ring or do I treat it like a white wood and debark now and keep the sapwood?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Best way to treat Redbud Stave
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 11:04:00 pm »
I've never used redbud but I'd treat it like any other whitewood, use the wood under the bark for the back.
 I don't know how closely redbud and locust are related but both are legumes...but so is a peanut.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline TimBo

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2021, 08:05:48 am »
The one time I cut some redbud, I left the bark on and it developed some pretty severe checks, so I would be tempted to chase it down to the heartwood if there is enough width.  However, mine was pretty old and gnarly, so maybe it was just stressed.  (I can sympathize!)  You could also peel off the bark and really hit it with several coats of shellac or cheap paint to protect the back.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2021, 08:08:08 am »
...on the other hand, this one was all sapwood, so what do I know.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,22556.0.html

(I would still seal the back up tight though!)

Offline SDBurntStick

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2021, 08:10:19 am »
Thanks guys.  I'll go ahead and debark and seal it.  I may try both ways.  I'll use one spit and keep the sapwood and chase down to a heartwood ring on the other.  Seems like the wood is hard but not sure how elastic.

Offline Allyn T

• I'm addicted to information
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2021, 08:14:37 am »
I've wanted to cut some redwood because it has an awesome snakey look most of the time. I hope it works for you, keep us in the loop.
In the woods I find my peace