Author Topic: 2015 U.S. Flight Nationals, September 4-6  (Read 21959 times)

Offline avcase

2015 U.S. Flight Nationals, September 4-6
« on: August 13, 2015, 04:10:30 pm »
Our U.S. Flight Nationals is less than a month away and I expect that this will be a good one. I hope to see some new folks show up this year and give it a try.  We could especially use some more competition to bolster the primitive classes.

The location: Bonneville Speedway, just east of Wendover, Utah

The schedule is as follows:

Wednesday (Sept. 2) My family and other members of the organizing committee will start showing up at the Bonneville event location to set up camp, practice, and scope out areas to set the shooting lines.

Thursday afternoon (Sept. 3) Event set-up and registration

Fri & Sat, Sept. (4 & 5) Regular flight competition

Sun (Sept. 6) the Broadhead competition. & awards

For a more detailed schedule, see: http://www.usflightarchery.com

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: 2015 U.S. Flight Nationals, September 4-6
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 04:55:04 pm »
I'll be out as a spectator. If I had the money I would love to shoot, but I am also not anywhere ready for it.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 05:37:07 pm »
  Better watch out Joe, we might just put you to work!

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 06:27:52 pm »
Wouldn't be the first time!

Offline avcase

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 06:44:49 pm »
The registration costs are $45 (adult) or $15 (youth 18 and under).

A membership to USA Archery is also required. If you don't have one, you have the option of purchasing a $15 temporary membership which is good for just this event, or a $50 membership good for one year.

It would be unfortunate to come out to the event and not shoot due to registration cost. If it is a hardship for anyone, then I am sure we can find a way to work something out.  Even if you are not ready with your own gear, there are often more bows available to shoot, than there are archers.  Don't hesitate to contact me.  Of course, we will try to put you to work whether you shoot or not! ;)

Alan

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 07:12:34 pm »
  Joe if you can come a day earlier we will be practicing. Just a little practice you might get it down.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 07:18:12 pm »
Give me an arrow weight to shoot for, a have a few weeks!

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 08:01:35 pm »
If you are interested in broadhead you will need 500 grains and your bow will need to not weigh more than your weight class when measured to the back of the broadhead. If you are shooting unlimited weight class your bow will not be weighed.

For the regular flight shooting the general rule of thought is as light as you can get and still maintain stiffness. About 200 grains with a 24" arrow is pretty typical. a little more or less. This is for the 50# classes. We will have some arrows you can use if you don't get them made. I have plenty.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 10:26:23 pm »
Maybe I'll get my juniper bow tillered the rest of the way!

Offline avcase

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 01:00:36 pm »
I agree with Steve.

My best advice on arrows is to diversify and make as many arrows as you can to cover a decent range of weights and center of balance. For example, for a 50# bow and 24" arrow, it wouldn't hurt to have arrows 165 grains to 225 grains.  Just make sure not to go so light in spine with the arrow that it is in danger of exploding. Make them nice and straight and don use too thick feathers for Fletching. I favor rounding over the point, like the nose of a 747 jet, instead of leaving a sharp point, but you can experiment with that too.

I wouldn't hesitate trying to finish up your juniper bow. Or take it as far as you can. The fun thing about primitive flight is that I've even seen an archer finish shaping and tillering his bow at the event and I think he may have even broke a record with it.

My first year, in 2004, I barely cleared 100 yards, but I had a great time, learned a lot from some great bow builders, and have been coming back every year since.

Alan

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 02:03:19 pm »
My juniper is a 55 inch, sinew backed Utah juniper. Maybe a 24 inch draw!

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 03:17:59 pm »
  Allen, Allen Courier finished up his simple comp bow while we were shooting on the line, Ike was cussing at him and having a fit. He broke the 50# broadhead record with the bow. I chased his record for about 10 years until I got it.  This is actually a good example of shooting a fresh bow! It had only been brought to full draw at the weight scales one time before shooting it. My 50# self bow that I hold a record with is kind of an odd ball, I shoot it every year and also use it in 3 d competitions ( drawing 26") the bow gets a few yards better every year.

Offline avcase

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 04:39:25 pm »
Steve,
Thanks for filling in the details. I remember being amazed watching that entire process leading up to Allen Currier's broadhead record.  Ike shouting and angry about delays while Dan Perry & others helping with the string and other details so he could shoot the thing. I wonder what ever happened to Mr. Currier?

Joe,
The minimum arrow length allowed for primitive is 23". If you are going for a 50-lb & under draw weight class, then you have to go through a weigh-in process. The officials at the weigh-in area will take your longest arrow, and draw your bow just far enough that the point of the arrow starts to fall free from the shelf, if you have one, and they will take a draw weight reading.  As long as it he draw weight is 50#, or less, then you are okay.  If your bow doesn't have a shelf, then the bow will be drawn until the point of the arrow would start to drop free of the bow if it was turned horizontally, or approximately even with the belly side of the bows arrow pass. It is important to be aware of this so you don't find yourself having to cut down your arrows at the last minute. If you measure your maximum 24" draw from the back of the bow, then you will need to make sure your arrows are short enough that it passes the weigh-in process. 

The weigh-in is always a bit tense for the primitive classes. Whoever is running the scales will need to be made aware that the primitive bows are held drawn for as little time as possible, and that the bow is not drawn past the draw weight cutoff.

If you are shooting in an unlimited weight class, then you can bypass the weigh-in process and shoot whatever length arrows you want.

Alan

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 06:44:42 pm »
  Joe, bring some of your better shooting bows, they might surprise you. Most of the bows that get the best distances are not hot rods. They get the arrow out cleanly, if the arrow gets off to a good start it makes a world of difference in the distance you will get.

Offline avcase

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2015, 07:45:45 pm »
Steve,
A good example is your 50# simple composite record of over 346 yards.  The arrow was pretty heavy, and your string looked pretty hefty too because you were having all kinds I breakage issues. Your bow was well built and proportioned, but not very extreme.  The results were pretty extreme however, breaking a nearly 20 year old record by nearly 20 yards. I was impressed!

Alan