Author Topic: Bowstrings.  (Read 2615 times)

Offline WoodsmanRanger

Bowstrings.
« on: November 02, 2022, 06:02:46 pm »
Can anyone advise me on what natural fibres to use as a bow string for a traditional bow(non synthetic). I have tried cording strands of linen thread, but it has not been strong enough.
Keith.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2022, 06:54:48 pm by WoodsmanRanger »

Offline bassman211

Re: Bowstrings.
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 06:34:33 pm »
10 strands of B50, B55, or 10 strands of D97, and pad the loops. On bows up to ,and including 45 lbs, I have even tied 8 strands with no problems.

Offline WoodsmanRanger

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 06:53:45 pm »
10 strands of B50, B55, or 10 strands of D97, and pad the loops. On bows up to ,and including 45 lbs, I have even tied 8 strands with no problems.

Thank you Bassman. Exactly what natural fibres are these?
Keith.

Black Moshannon

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 06:58:33 pm »
Barbours Irish linen (branded by the term flax sinew) I’ve never had one break yet and I even cut one with a knife by accident about a quarter in and it still held together until I made a new one.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 09:12:00 pm »
B-50, B55 and DF-97 are not natural materials, B50 and B-55 are Dacron, DF97 is Dyneema, what ever that is.

Offline bassman211

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2022, 01:19:41 am »
Sorry mis read the post. No they are not natural fibers. The right size Barbour linen should work for you. Look on ebay, or amazon.

Offline Chumash

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2022, 05:26:16 pm »
B-50, B55 and DF-97 are not natural materials, B50 and B-55 are Dacron, DF97 is Dyneema, what ever that is.

Plastic!

Polyester: B 50, B 55
high-modulus polyethylene (HMPE)): Dyneema

Offline WoodsmanRanger

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2023, 01:04:37 am »
Barbours Irish linen (branded by the term flax sinew) I’ve never had one break yet and I even cut one with a knife by accident about a quarter in and it still held together until I made a new one.

Many thanks, much appreciated.
Regards, Keith.

Offline Aaron1726

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2023, 09:15:12 pm »
I have a dogbane string that is holding up pretty good for me right now.  I've also have had luck with hemp, but it's hit or miss with the stuff I can find locally on how consistent the strength is, so they end up over built and thick.  I also like squirrel rawhide, it's some tough stuff!  Takes me 3 squirrels for a string, cut them in a big circle and spiral in to get a long enough length, then twist the 3 plies together.  My next goal is to build a sinew string, but haven't tackled that yet, but I know others seem to like them.

Offline WoodsmanRanger

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2023, 10:37:36 pm »
I have a dogbane string that is holding up pretty good for me right now.  I've also have had luck with hemp, but it's hit or miss with the stuff I can find locally on how consistent the strength is, so they end up over built and thick.  I also like squirrel rawhide, it's some tough stuff!  Takes me 3 squirrels for a string, cut them in a big circle and spiral in to get a long enough length, then twist the 3 plies together.  My next goal is to build a sinew string, but haven't tackled that yet, but I know others seem to like them.
Thank you Aaron, bit short on squirrels over here but rawhide sounds like a good idea. Just have to keep it out of the rain. I agree, sinew would be good, but I don't think I have enough at present.
Regards, Keith.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2023, 03:08:01 am »
You can use pigs or other animals guts
Not vegetable fibers but still natural
You can find them as sausage casing for pretty cheap
Just dump, twist and dry again
If you have doubt about his resistence mind that is considered prime stuff for tennis racket (bovine guts) for its strength and low stretch
Oh and for humide climate tennis manufacturers recommend to apply wax on your strings
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 03:11:39 am by GlisGlis »

Offline WoodsmanRanger

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2023, 07:13:46 pm »
You can use pigs or other animals guts
Not vegetable fibers but still natural
You can find them as sausage casing for pretty cheap
Just dump, twist and dry again
If you have doubt about his resistence mind that is considered prime stuff for tennis racket (bovine guts) for its strength and low stretch
Oh and for humide climate tennis manufacturers recommend to apply wax on your strings

Much obliged Glis, thank you.
Regards, Keith.