Author Topic: Coyote Hunting what do you do with them?  (Read 9025 times)

Offline punch

Coyote Hunting what do you do with them?
« on: August 14, 2015, 03:34:45 pm »
So I have been interested in hunting coyotes in So Cal.  I see them all the time while hunting turkey & quail. My question is after you kill one what do you do with it?  Does anyone eat them? 

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Coyote Hunting what do you do with them?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2015, 03:56:08 pm »
You should always eat what you kill. At least once!  >:D
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline punch

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2015, 03:59:16 pm »
Yes I don't hunt what I won't eat but I was curious if some people eat them.  I found a posting by someone that said they like eating them but there really isn't much info out there about eating them.  But I see a lot of people do hunt them.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 04:10:49 pm by JoJoDapyro »

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 04:59:31 pm »
I skin em and feed nature with the rest. Heck no I'm not eating a dang coyote. Ever. If I was starving and the last animals alive were yote and roaches, I'd eat a bit- until I could BBQ the roaches
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 05:59:26 pm »
Feed it to the cats.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 06:07:45 pm »
Never ate a Yote, but dog taste pretty good. What's the difference? Kinda like a rat and a squrriel?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Little John

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 07:10:56 pm »
I have killed a couple or three with a rifle, but for the most part I am not that mad at them.      Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 08:24:13 pm »
Most of the coyote hunters I know do not do anything constructive with the carcass.
When the furs are prime a few will save the furs for either their own use or to sell. In California you'll need a trapper's license in order to sell the furs (even if you shoot the coyote with a rifle or arrow, still need what is called a trapper's license).
The California high desert can get bone chilling cold in the winter. I've seen some very nice furs result from hunting the area during prime fur season.

Guy

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 10:17:36 am »
If I cared to hunt them I would try it at least once. I think you owe it to yourself to try. Maybe it will be your next go to meat!

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 11:00:54 am »
Haha, I watched that meateater episode. Their description was "overcooked diver duck"

Offline killir duck

• i like elk
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 08:30:06 pm »
I hunt coyotes a lot in the winter when the fur is prime, I skin em and occasionally keep and boil the scull
PRIMITIVE ARCHERY what other way can you play with sticks and rocks all day and not look like a little kid

Every time i shoot at a bunny i recall the wise words of Elmer Fudd "I've got you now you waskally wabbit!"

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 01:25:16 am »
I've got a cleaned skull from a coyote I shot a few years ago.
I'll tell you what, that's about the coolest memory of a hunt I've got.

Guy

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 11:31:39 pm »
My fiance has shot lots of coyotes in the past, but hasn't since I've been with him (3 years). We're generally under a solid policy of "you kill it, you eat it," which is why I've added squirrel, yellow bellied marmot, and rattlesnake to my list of critters eaten in the last year. After seeing that episode of Meat Eater, if Phill or I were to shoot a coyote, we would definitely try to find the best way to eat it, and probably make a quiver out of the hide.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline sleek

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 01:18:33 am »
I wont kill just to waste a life.  Kill with a purpose. That purpose doesnt have to be food....  I have assisted in the death of many humans ( extreme example of course ) and I sure didnt eat them! Though I hear the meat is very lite. If your purpose was fulfilled, protection of life, food plots, skins ( anything but trophy but thats pure my own opinion and dont judge others for theirs ) then its fine. Id be mighty hungry before I ate dog. Mostly because I respect the species far to much to be willing to end a dogs life to support my own. To noble a creature...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others