Author Topic: new black powder project  (Read 13907 times)

Offline sleek

Re: new black powder project
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2015, 01:05:31 pm »
I am going to save that poor stock however.  Wildman, you said the bore is messed up in yoir barrel, whats wrong with it, and how would I fix it?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2015, 01:28:10 pm »
You can send the roached out barrel from Wildman to Bobby Hoyt. For around $100 he will ream it out and re-rifle it into an essentially new barrel. There is none better to do this work.

Robert Hoyt at the
Freischutz Shop
700 Fairfield Station Rd.
Fairfield, Pa. 17320.
His phone # 717-642-6696 He doesn't have a website or email - you have to use the phone. Be prepared to wait for him to shut down a machine and walk to the phone - let it ring. .

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2015, 01:35:56 pm »
Another consideration, is what is the distance across the flats in your stocks barrel inlet. You need a barrel the same size. Lets say the barrel inlet is for a 1" across the flats barrel and Wildman's is 7/8" it won't work in your stock. The lock is another consideration.You can have a larger lock than your lock mortise and enlarge the mortise to fit the larger lock. A lock smaller than your lock mortise won't work well for you. You could make a Damascus lock plate to fit your mortise and fit the internals  from Wildman's lock to it.

Of course all this adds up to ditching your stock, buy a slab of wood and fit Wildman's barrel and lock into it properly which takes some skills.

I haven't inletted a barrel or drilled a ramrod hole yet. I send my stock blank and barrel to a guy who specializes in this kind of work and get it done to perfection instead of spending two weeks with a chisel doing it myself with questionable results.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 01:47:15 pm by Eric Krewson »

Offline wildman

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2015, 11:11:19 pm »
If this is any help the barrel is 1'' across the flats non swamped , and the lock plate is what I would call small. Lock is an average CVA / Traditions production lock.  Barrel was just neglected and could be reworked as Eric said. .50cal
" Society your crazy greed , hope your not lonely without me"

-Eddie Vedder-

Offline sleek

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2015, 11:39:05 pm »
Man im happy to try it anyway,  not kicking tires on generosity!  I really thank you. Very much.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2015, 09:50:41 pm »
You can send the roached out barrel from Wildman to Bobby Hoyt. For around $100 he will ream it out and re-rifle it into an essentially new barrel. There is none better to do this work.

Robert Hoyt at the
Freischutz Shop
700 Fairfield Station Rd.
Fairfield, Pa. 17320.
His phone # 717-642-6696 He doesn't have a website or email - you have to use the phone. Be prepared to wait for him to shut down a machine and walk to the phone - let it ring. .

I should talk to him about bumping my .36 up to a .40 cal.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.