Author Topic: Why are my arrows so heavy?  (Read 2611 times)

Offline bowandarrow473

Why are my arrows so heavy?
« on: August 18, 2015, 08:25:52 pm »
I was weighing some newly finished arrows today and noticed that they weigh between 920 and 980 grains! how is this possible, my pionts are 100 grains and the shafts are dogwood and hickory cut to 30in long. why do they weigh so much, they taper from 3/8 at the point to 5/16 at the nock. they are spined correctly to my bow, I am sure of that. could someone please help me solve this problem?
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Why are my arrows so heavy?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 09:33:13 pm »
Hard to say. When were the shafts cut? They're not still a little green are they? If so, that would make them heavy. Other than that, I don't know. Good luck.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 10:21:04 pm »
no they are most definately not green. they had been seasoning with the bark off for 3 months. I have never run into this problem before, its really quite odd.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 12:33:36 pm »
Dumb question, are you confident in your scale?

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 12:47:19 pm »
My first thought was that my scale somehow got messed up, so I found an old ounce scale and the results concurred with what the electronic scale said. although the ounce scale isnt as accurate I could still tell that it was arouund 900-1000 grains once I made the conversion. This is really weird, I have never had weights this high before on either dogwood or hickory arrows. if it was just dogwod or just hickory I might be able to accept that I had found some, insane, ultra-dense wood, but its a mix of both woods.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 06:51:02 pm »
Hickory can be very heavy but I never made a hickory arrow. I have a 30" red osier that is heavy buy between 600gr and 650gr.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 07:14:15 am »
Can't answer your question  :-\  I have made several Hickory arrows and they were heavy but more like 700 to 750, I like a pretty heavy arrow between 600 and 700 but 900  ??? that would be like launching a telephone pole out of my bow.  ;D ;D
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 10:21:23 am »
Yeah, I usually get arrow weights from 600-700 gr with both hickory and dogwood. But this, this is insane. they were harvested in the same swamp so I dont know if some weird growing conditions led to abnormally dense wood or what but I sure as heck wont be using wood from there again unless I start shooting 100lb warbows.