Author Topic: Professional knappers  (Read 3391 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Professional knappers
« on: August 18, 2015, 11:35:14 pm »
So is there such a thing? People who make a living only off busting and selling rock? I've seen some that definitely should be but I was knapping yesterday at my dads and he asked how much I could sell an arrowhead for. So I looked online and wow. There's some pricey points! Just normal hunting points were 20 bucks a head! Is this a real thing talented knappers can do? I'm no where near selling points, just giving em off to friends, but I found a new goal and it's to make points someone would pay a grand for. And then use it to hunt deer for myself  >:D

If any of you do(Jackcrafty seems like he could, watched quite a few of his videos. Plus a lot of you on here) could you please say what it's like? How it goes? Fun level? And of course, hardest order recieved.

Dylan
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Professional knappers
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 01:22:33 am »
I know a guy that makes and sells knives. He says its a hobby, sometimes bringing in $3000 a month. Sweet hobby!
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 03:04:53 am »
Yes, there is such a thing as professional knappers.  Most are retired but there are some younger guys who are making a living at it.  Of course, it helps to diversify into other areas like making/selling flintknapping tools and collecting/selling flint, for example.

Some knappers can make $1000+ for a single piece but these are usually very large pieces and/or made from exotic materials that are expensive to begin with.  But you can probably count these guys on one hand.  It's a very specialized niche.

There are also people making fakes and selling them for good money on the black market or to uneducated buyers. I won't get into this aspect other than to say that professional counterfeiters have been around from the very beginnings of modern flintknapping.  At least since the 40's or 50's.

Some professional knappers can be found making "the rounds" at knap-ins across the country.  I've met a couple but I haven't asked what they average per month.  It can't be that much.  I think most of the money to be made is through online stores.  From what I've seen in sales, I would guess that $3000 per month is on the high end.

As for me, I could be knapping full time and selling everything I make but the hourly rate would be something like $10 at best.  You gotta remember there's a lot of expense in getting good stone, lots of breakages, shipping time/labor, store maintenance, email time, and tool costs.  I could make more than $10 per hour if I concentrated on large, thin, translucent reproductions of real artifacts but some of these would probably pass thorough several hands and eventually end up in collections as "real".  That thought really bugs me and makes me sick to my stomach.  So I tend to back off from reproductions... and the "big" money.

If I had to describe making a living as a knapper in simple terms, I would say it's a lot like trying to make a living at gambling.  There's a lot of specialized knowledge needed, a lot of competition for the money, and a lot of temptation/opportunity to go to the dark side.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 03:11:23 am by JackCrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline turbo

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 08:34:34 am »
'jack' summed it up quite nicely. I've known a few knappers over the years that have/do it full time. One is not living a life of luxury by any means, another retired early and is not dependent on the income. The latter has 'quit' a time or two but is back knapping again.

Another factor to consider; if you take something you enjoy and make a living out of it, that something can become like a chore and zap the fun out of it. It doesn't have to be that way but you have to keep it fresh or you'll burn out.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 08:36:30 am »
Patrick, You are friends with him on Facebook, although I'm sure that doesn't help you. We are BOTH friends with him on facebook.  ;)

Offline Zuma

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 11:08:02 am »
Patrick, You are friends with him on Facebook, although I'm sure that doesn't help you. We are BOTH friends with him on facebook.  ;)

Is this a riddle?
Zuma

I keep my knapping quite poor and plenty of copper on the points
so I will never be tempted to make high dollar fakes. :embarassed:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 11:11:12 am by Zuma »
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 01:04:15 pm »
I guess you could call me a "professional" I get paid to nap I, Er Knap at work. I am a Park Ranger/Indian Cultural Demonstrator. I do know folks that do a lot of knapping from abo to FOG. Mostly they are hobbiests but they do occassionally sell some things. THey are not really interested in money they just like to create beauty.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 01:34:52 pm »

Is this a riddle?
Zuma

I keep my knapping quite poor and plenty of copper on the points
so I will never be tempted to make high dollar fakes. :embarassed:

I didn't want to drop names. He and I share perhaps 3 mutual friends. I'm sure he knows who I am talking about.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 02:24:14 pm »
Oh, riddle solved. I didn't see the winky guy in your post. :-X
Thanks Jo
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 02:51:09 pm »
Hmmmm...  I haven't spent much time on facebook for the last year or so.   :-[

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas

How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 03:30:08 pm »
I have also noticed that. And I can't blame you. My phone died yesterday, it has been very peaceful!

Offline Hopewell point

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 05:55:04 pm »
YosemiteBen, what park do you work at?

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2015, 06:04:06 pm »
I have seen posts I which the knapper complained that after knapping a few of the same type it became a burden to keep at it to fill the order. I have occasionally knapped a dozen hunting points making the dimensions and weight the same, and that always became difficult to finish. One arrowhead hunter wanted me to make him a set of about forty to imbed in his fireplace above the mantle. I don't think I will ever be interested in such a chore.

WA

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2015, 07:40:24 pm »
The matched sets of 6 is what I saw and was thinking must be boring after a while. Anytime I grab a rock I start bobbing till I see a point and then go for it. Don't know if any of my points look the same. I know the everyday knapper could get some money for it by making a knife or set of points for a hunter. Was curious if anyone woke up, knapped their 8 hours then went home. Seemed like a cool idea but I'd hate for such a fun hobby to become work. Especially if it was only making 10 bucks an hour! I'd go to Seattle and flip burgers at mcdonalds for 15 bucks an hour then knap on the side! Haha though sometimes the thought of thought of knapping for a real living, in the woods where that blade is gonna cut up the deer you killed with one of the points you made, that would be fun. Real primitive living rather then worrying about an 8-10 hour day to make green paper that on a global scale isn't worth nearly what you put in for it. Whoops! Rant. My bad.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2015, 11:58:14 pm »
Going out and getting the green paper is actually easier than hunting/gathering on a consistent basis.  That's why farming was invented.  Many of us, myself included, would like to hunt-fish-camp-knap every day but it's unrealistic, especially when you have to raise children and keep your significant other happy.  Our ancestors had a really harsh life.

I agree with the boredom that sets in when making matched sets.  But you get into the groove after a while and instinctively make the same size without much effort.  The hard part comes when you try to make a point that's not 1" wide and not perfectly triangular.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas