Author Topic: Now what?  (Read 4847 times)

Offline Redhand

• Marlen Murdock PM109458
Re: Now what?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 05:04:39 pm »
Those turtle back shaped stone are the best to learn on, keep banging away you will improve, and remember to follow the ridges.
Northern Ute

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2015, 07:57:36 pm »
Set up a good platform and hit those turtle backs diagonally across the top. You will be supprised how much will come off with a good platform.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2015, 12:13:09 am »
Thank you all for the advice. I would still like to know what a good platform is for a bigger rock like these.  I am starting to understand on the small glass chips I have been pressure flaking, but anything that requires percussion, I am not sure what it will look like. Been watching videos. . .

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2015, 11:37:43 am »
What videos are you watching?  As a new guy, you're probably watching a lot of "abo" videos.   This happens with new guys and I don't know exactly why.  If you are using copper tools, you need to be watching copper vids.

And be sure heck out EDBO23 on youtube, for example.  He is one of the most helpful yet under-viewed guys on youtube.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2015, 12:20:05 pm »
one of the more helpful videos I have found is by a guy named flintknapper Jimmy that has a series on copper bopping at turtle backed piece of obsidian.  I have been stearig clear of the abo stuff.  I felt like learning with copper would be easier, the tools simpler to find--I won't be getting a moose billet anytime soon anyway--and they seemed more effective.  I have been watching your videos too Jack, the way you talk through them is helpful for me to understand what I am looking at.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 01:12:36 pm »
Jeff, while knapping last night I was thinking of advice for a beginner. If you can't get a flake to run, hitting it harder isn't the answer, fixing your platform is. I started with copper, and really prefer stone and antler now. Really I just use rocks from my yard. 3 sizes, small to large.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.