Author Topic: Adam Karpowicz, Ottoman Turkish Bows Book  (Read 13179 times)

Offline LittleBen

Adam Karpowicz, Ottoman Turkish Bows Book
« on: August 21, 2015, 11:50:15 pm »
I desperately want a copy of this book. I understand it can be had as an ebook in second edition. But let's be honest, were about tradition here, and a bound book is something to be read and to be cherished whereas an ebook is only to be read. Should I stop dreaming or is there a way to get my hands on a printed copy?

mikekeswick

Re: Adam Karpowicz, Ottoman Turkish Bows Book
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 10:49:09 am »
You could try sending him an email through Atarn.net and see if he can help you out personally. Other than that I've read a few posts saying that there is going to be a new run on them but that is only hearsay, maybe try asking him if there is any news on that front.
If you get no joy at all I could loan you my copy for a while as I know it almost verbatim! It did get a pot of sinew glue spilt on it a few years ago but is still readable for the most part.

Offline Coonst

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 02:34:28 pm »
He was asked the same thing on paleoplanet, and said there will be only the ebook because of delivery-time-complaints in the past. (8+ weeks). My solution is getting it printed and bound in a local copyshop.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2015, 04:12:20 pm »
I'd wait 8 months for it! It's absolute gold, man it would take years and years to learn all that stuff and the patience of a saint......

Offline Coonst

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 04:34:41 pm »
After reading the 1st edition, I completely agree, but before getting it in my hands my patience was kinda "saint-ish" ... ;)

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2015, 03:32:22 am »
you can get the edition of the german translation... 8)

That is the number you need:  ISBN: 978-3-938921-19-7

Offline BrokenArrow

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 02:12:29 pm »
I just finished reading the version for Kindle and this book is a great resource but I also suggest Yav Dag on YouTube as he has a 6 part series on making hornbows.
I have begun to make 5 of them in the Turkish tradition. I have both Water buffalo and gemslok horn, maple air dried wood and lots of sinew. I have cut the sals and have bent all but 2 sals to date. I steam bent them. 2 Waterbuffalo horns are flat but the gemslok horn is in milk currently as I hope this softens them as the steam did not do much to get them flat. I suggest the use of water buffalo horns over gemslok horn. The sals are 27 inches long and 3/8 of an inch thick. I am not sure why the book says they should be 1/2 to 3/4 thick when the final thickness should be no more than 3/16? Try bending 3/4 inch maple in a sal form like I will post in a few days.
I am struggling with the wood to use for the siyahs. Any suggestions? The only ones I think make sense are mullberry and maybe cherry.
Will post pics of my progress in a few days.

Offline loon

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 06:38:03 am »
Koreans use mulberry... should be good
Honeysuckle?
Layered bamboo?

Offline gorazd

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 03:11:04 am »
Hi,

I am starting the horn bow project too...
For the cores I have
-vertical grain bamboo flooring boards cut into the 5mm thick and 30mm wide strips
- and for Second bow is the acacia wood cut into 5mm plates too (exact vertical grain), strips are 30mm wide
-handle is acacia wood 25mmx 25 mm crosscut strip

Siyahs:
I wont bother with steam bending thick hard wood.... ;)
I decided to make glued plywood siyahs  :)  - from 5mm accacia or bamboo plates glued in the form. I will bend 3 strips together to get the exact thickness.
I already made a wooden form - exact copy from pictures of the turkish bows in museum

Offline loon

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 04:53:07 am »
good luck
check out atarn.net/phpBB as well, there seem to be more hornbow postings over there... and more 'build alongs'. People seem to tend to use ash. Maybe kinds of maple. Maple for the core, at least...?

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2016, 12:36:25 pm »
I have the paper copy and it is a beautiful book.   They did a great job with it!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline loon

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 03:05:11 pm »
I have an e-book copy. Lots of good info