Author Topic: looking for a odd piece of wood  (Read 2263 times)

fredie

looking for a odd piece of wood
« on: November 21, 2015, 06:47:46 pm »
hey every one I hope you all are doing well . im looking for a about 17 inch peace of dense wood to carve a traditional wood spear point with . if and one could help me out ? let me know and we could work out a deal .

riverrat

Re: looking for a odd piece of wood
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 09:20:49 pm »
i got some scrap laying around. osage sapwood. mulberry, elm, b. locust, mulberry sapwood. ,b. locust sapwood, i dont know how dense buckeye heartwood is but i have some of it as well.i think i have some maple, oh yea and a few small scraps of hickory but too small for 17 in. of anything.what ya need? have some sycamore as well but its not very dense stuff.Tony

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 09:47:22 am »
Some tight grained curly maple would be nice if it is polished and the stained to bring out the curl..
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

fredie

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 12:21:25 pm »
riverrat pm sent

Limbit

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 12:20:37 am »
I've got tropical hardwood here in Taiwan I'd be happy to send you some scraps in the mail. I've got some Orange Jessamine that is nearly as hard as bone and some acacia confusia which is also hard as bone. I've got some legit Chinese elm as well as some unidentified black and white hardwood that looks something like persimmon although I know it isn't. Should make a fine point. Also got nephrite jade all over the place if you want to wet-stone an point. I don't think you can knap nephrite, but I don't know as I'm not a knappper.

Limbit

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 12:26:18 am »
Forgot, got some Long'an (Dragon Eye fruit) and guava tree wood scraps as well. Hard as can be, but looks like nothing.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 02:03:24 pm »
I've got some Mountain Mahogany.  It's supposed to provide the denstest wood available in the lower 48.  The scraps I have are an undistinguished  pink.
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Limbit

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2015, 11:22:19 pm »

Limbit

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 11:30:51 pm »
So Fredie, that is the stuff I can get for you. The smaller stuff from left to right is: teak, myrtle, acacia confusia and that unidentified black and white wood. The black and white stuff I will be using in handles and tip overlays, so if you want that, let me know how big a piece you want. The nephrite jade I soaked in water first to bring out the color, but it was all collected locally and worked a bit at a jewellery shop. The second picture is a Long'an wood stump. I can get you a slice of that, just tell me how thick or can get you branches from the tree. The next log is acacia confusia if you'd rather have a slice of stump. After that is Chinese Elm...not Siberian or any other elm. It is a rare and superior elm species throughout Asia. The last pic is also the elm. I'm just milling a few trunks for countertops and shelves in my new house and saving the good stuff for billets. You're welcome to whatever, just tell me sizing and remember, it is getting shipped from Taiwan!