Author Topic: Aboriginal Atayal, Taroko and Amis blades  (Read 5762 times)

Limbit

Aboriginal Atayal, Taroko and Amis blades
« on: August 23, 2015, 02:25:28 am »
There has been quite a lot of interest regarding these primitive style of all purpose machetes. They were used for everything from hacking logs, bow making, hunting and war. They are pretty much a standard item for every aboriginal man in Taiwan who spends any amount of time in the mountains. There is a local blacksmith in a mountain village outside my archery teacher's village in Hualien, Taiwan. He is a great guy and obviously knows his craft. When I went to visit him today, he proceeded to take one of the blades and strike a metal pole with it repeatedly in order to show me it wouldn't damage the knife-edge!! If you'd like one of these blades, we can trade items for the value of the blade since I understand money is not an option on the trade forum. I'd love to help support him. I am always looking for American wood. So, staves would be my priority. Juniper of any variety in particular, but of course anything else of use like osage, pignut hickory,  ironwood, white oak, incense cedar, lilac, black walnut etc.... Sinew is always needed (prepared or it can't be shipped!) and I'd like to get some copperhead or rattler skins at some point for bow backing. It's a pity I can't trade Taiwanese snakes skins! You guys would dig some of the snakes we get around here. I'm not sure I can, but is anyone interested in shark skin or manta ray skin? I have access to it quite regularly. I'm just not sure if the skins are legal to ship or not. Sorry for the picture quality. My phone is crap.

Limbit

Re: Aboriginal Atayal, Taroko and Amis blades
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 02:31:47 am »
The first blade pictured seems to be the most versatile since it has both a large and smaller blade. I am not crazy about the red-rope handle wrapping, so if it was me, I'd get a nice and pretty hardwood and replace the rope with it. If you're interested, I have loads of tropical hardwood I can include with the blade if you want to switch it out. Teak or acacia confusa  (Formosan King Koa) would be best I think.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 04:15:39 pm »
Can wood be shipped to you without being grabbed in Customs?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Limbit

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 09:00:46 pm »
Yes, but I just have it shipped to my brother in the States who lives in Colorado. When I go back to the States, I bundle it up and ship it freight. Otherwise the shipping is too expensive to justify shipping it. Shipping from Taiwan is actually very inexpensive if you don't mind the wait. Usually only 10-15$, but you have to wait around 6 weeks.

Offline Johnny K

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 03:29:07 pm »
I bet that little one would make a great boot-knife. Sent you a PM...
If this bow breaks, I'll build another. If it doesn't............. I'll still build another.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 11:19:00 pm »
I have a nice ERC stave.
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Limbit

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 06:13:23 am »
Would love ERC!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 12:05:25 pm »
I like the red handled one. Pm me if u wanna talk about it
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Limbit

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 07:55:44 am »
Went up there to pick up some of the blades today. His daughter was there and she scoffed as she showed me their shop door. She seemed annoyed her father kept striking it to show how strong his blades were. I'm not sure the picture is clear, but those gashes were deep in the metal door!

Limbit

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 07:57:43 am »
Also, I noted the bottom blade in the picture below. Realistically, this is the most versatile and cost efficient blade he makes. It is nearly identical to what I've been using and all the aboriginal guys carry.

Offline Johnny K

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 02:09:22 pm »
Got mine,
Thanks Limbit!

John
If this bow breaks, I'll build another. If it doesn't............. I'll still build another.

Limbit

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 08:07:32 am »
Glad you like it mate! Hope it serves you well.

Offline warpath

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 12:42:52 pm »
Limbit- pm'ed you.

G-Monee  >:D

Offline JonW

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 06:20:00 pm »
Guys if you like trading I highly suggest you jump on this offer. I recieved mine and they are KILLER!! Limbit is a super guy and is very trustworthy. Thanks for the trade Byron.

Limbit

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 01:24:22 am »
Thanks for the recommendation! I am glad you like it.