Author Topic: bug bomb  (Read 3953 times)

Offline Josh B

bug bomb
« on: August 23, 2015, 09:40:43 am »
This is a piece of dogwood I believe.  I happened to be in Pappy's neck of the woods fo r the weekend and stopped by.   While I was there Burn em up Chuck discovered that bugs had invaded his whitewood stash.  He proceeded to throw the infested staves in the burn pile.  After he left I was sitting around waiting for a bow to cool on the caul and decided to see just how bad the damage was to Chuck's staves.  The worst for the wear was this little piece of dogwood.   While i was looking at it, I gave it an experimental floor tiller bend.  It didn't break.  So I says alright you, lets see how much bend you will take.  An hour later, she was shooting.  15#@26".  I would guess about 66" long(I didn't measure).  At least a half a dozen borer grubs got tore up by the rasp and at least that many more abandoned ship while I was shooting it in.  I didn't notice that at first.  Every couple shots, Sally would dart in front of me and scratch at the ground.  I couldn't figure out what she was doing until I happened to catch a grub falling to the ground after I shot.  Sally darted in and pawed it up.  She really is a good dog!  Here's some pics of the carnage the borers wrought.  Josh

Offline Josh B

Re: bug bomb
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 09:44:09 am »
A few more of the damage.  They really turned this stave into Swiss cheese!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 09:50:08 am »
I had to take the f/d shot on the tillering tree because even though she's a great dog, she doesn't take very good pics.  I left this for Chuck, but he'll have to make himself a string for it as the string that's on it is Pappy's. I didn't have my string stuff with me.  It actually shoots pretty good with 1/4" dowel arrows.  Thanks for looking!  Josh

Offline Drewster

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 09:53:29 am »
Hate to see good bow wood lost like that.  Be interesting to know how long the "Swiss cheese" bow holds up.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline JonW

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 09:55:21 am »
Josh you know you cant make a bow with a violated back right?  ::)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 10:01:10 am »
Very cool Josh , wished. I could have been there and thanks for giving Sally a fun weekend also. Hope you can come again soon . Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 10:50:39 am »
Woweeee

Offline Josh B

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2015, 12:05:13 pm »
Josh you know you cant make a bow with a violated back right?  ::)

Oh sure....now you tell me!  Lol!
Pappy...thank you!  If I wouldn't have been hanging out with Sally, I would've been sitting in my truck, bored to tears and wishing I was home.  Thanks to your hospitality, I get to head to Las Vegas Monday feeling good instead of homesick. That makes all the difference in the world.
Drewster...I don't expect it would last long, but I did put a hundred shots or so through it and about 15 targets on twin oaks 3-d course before I lost my arrow.  Not a tick or crack to be heard.  I think I could got away with a little more draw weight if the bugs would of left me more thickness.  Thanks fellas!  Josh

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2015, 12:24:33 pm »
Cool little bow, Josh. Ain't it fun to make bows from unbowworthy wood? 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2015, 12:37:07 pm »
I saw a guy at Tannehill that had a wormy osage bow, not as bad at the one pictured but with at least ten holes and trails in the back. He said he made it as an experiment and had been shooting it for a while.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2015, 02:05:39 pm »
Nice bow Josh.  Does the wind whistle through those holes when you shoot it?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline rps3

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2015, 06:37:25 pm »
Cool bow.

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2015, 08:04:03 am »
This dont surprise me...dogwoods a tuff wood. Non ring porous,and strong interlocking grains...

Looked like a fun ride to make josh ;)

Offline Josh B

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2015, 09:03:57 am »
Thanks fellas!  It was a fun little diversion.  On one hand, I kinda wish that I'd have spent another ten minutes or so on the tiller since the lower(left) limb could've used a few more scrapes on the outer 2/3.  On the other hand, it's probably irrelevant since Chuck will more than likely throw it back on the burn pile where it belongs when he gets done laughing and shaking his head. Lol! 
Clint...I don't know if it whistles or not.  It has enough holes in it that it might sound like an entire concerto in a strong enough breeze. ::)
Chris...I don't think there can be much doubt as to dogwood being tough, but I was certainly surprised that it would take this.  Josh

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2015, 09:08:47 am »
Love it ;D... looks like some sort of funky modern art bow.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.