Author Topic: How short can you go?  (Read 3295 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

How short can you go?
« on: August 25, 2015, 09:10:55 am »
The last couple weeks I've had the itch to try building a heavy warbow. Which I've never built a heavy now or a war bow yet. When I split staves back around January I set aside an ERC stave that was almost flawless other than coming from trunk wood. As is the stave is 2"x2" with 1/2 heart to sap ratio and straight as I've seen with maybe a pin knot or two. I just looked at t thinking about backing it wth a thin strip of maple for assurance. But I forget how short it was. It's just over head high to me so right about 72". If backed with maple is this long enough to get any sort of decent weight? If I can I would love to build this into a goal bow. As in make it a beauty that pulls in the 120-140 range that I can build up to using. If I can't get that kind of weigt I'll be perfectly happy with a lighter draw. Especially if it comes out to be a pretty bow. So is this stave long enough to get into the #100 range if not can I add a couple inches to each end to stretch it out a little by splicing on short chunks before I back it?

I feel like I have too many questions and am too excited to build somethingn heavy. The guys I work with could tell you that. I'm feeling like this is my next project once I get caught up on the other build I have to finish. So I've got some time to get it figured out.

Thanks for the input, all advice welcome.
Kyle

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
Re: How short can you go?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 01:19:43 pm »
I too was wondering about this as my current stave is only 67 inches in length but should exceed 100 pounds comfortably

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 09:34:07 pm »
I think to would be fine, of guys can get 65 pounds out of 64 inch bows then you should be fine at 72. Don't know much about war bows though, I'm an eastern woodland/AFB guy. Good luck!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline WillS

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 05:06:19 am »
I was at a shoot the other week, and saw a 71" self yew bow at 180#.  Anything is possible ;)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 08:15:08 am »
Awesome. Well, once I get a couple other projects wrapped up I'm starting on his one. One thing I'll need to do before starting it though, I gotta built a tillering tree. I really doubt I can tiller something of that weight with my normal method of drawing in front of the rear glass of my truck and using the reflection.

Kyle

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 02:18:14 pm »
I have a Maple backed ERC ALB that is 69" long and pulls close to 70# @ 29" so you could get up to a 32" draw and easily more than 100# out of that combination.  You would want the backing to be about 1/4" thick and when you glue them up add at least 2" of reflex
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 07:42:21 pm »
Im glad to know that it doable. With the reflex should I put it evenly distributed or more towards The tips? I'm really looking forward to giving this bow a go. I've got a few others to take care of first. But this one has me the most excited.

Kyle