Author Topic: Hello from Iowa!  (Read 5709 times)

Offline Ranasp

Hello from Iowa!
« on: August 26, 2015, 11:46:52 pm »
Hello archers!  Thought I'd introduce myself.  I've only been shooting for...Yeesh, just over a full year now.  I had picked up a bow during gym class in high school and really enjoyed it but never got the chance until nearly two decades later to shoot again.  I got my chance when I got my hands on a Ben Pearson Palomino recurve, and just loved the simplicity of it.  What was funny is that it turns out that a few of my friends had bows!  So then comes setting up a shooting range on the side of my home, and finding out that I really don't like fiberglass arrows...So I try out some bad wood ones, which still appealed more to me than the "fake" arrows.  Then I get some nice wood arrows, and really like them.  Then I start adding points on myself, and get another recurve bow.....And, well, now I'm about to get my hands on a lovely horn, sinew, and wood laminate bow by Grozer and some nice self nock arrows and I figure I can finally join the club here.  ;) 

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Hello from Iowa!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 12:03:12 am »
Well, welcome to PA! Before you know it you will be making your own archery gear! Bows, arrows, quivers and a whole array of other primitive items. Warning! It's addictive! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 12:52:08 am »
Hah I already started in on that!  First I had to make my own leather arm guard, oh and why not bang out a few leather tabs as well, those are easy enough...Well with those nice wooden arrows I had to make my own quiver!  Oh whoops, an SCA event?  Better make a different style quiver for that (I was aiming for a hip quiver, but it turns out I just really like back quivers so I wore it that way for half the day.  ;)  )  Oh and what's that?  My string won't fit over the bow on my second recurve?  Time to make a string keeper out of a clay bead I made ages ago and leather cord. 

Having WAY too much fun with archery and all the things that go with it, and I'm greatly looking forward to hunting bunnies at the end of this month and learning to cure the pelts.   

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 07:03:39 am »
Welcome to PA. I feel sure you will like it here,sounds like you have a good start. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline stickbender

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 02:24:31 pm »

Ooooh!  We got another one!  And he is already addicted!  Welcome aboard.  Feel free to wander around the site, and pick up any info, tricks, and materials listings, you find.  Enjoy!
                                    Wayne

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 12:39:53 am »
Thanks, Stickbender.  Been enjoying this site and learning a lot.  It inspired me to give a shot at making my own arrows out of some lilac suckers.  Cut them a month ago and have been straightening them every now and again. 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 09:58:56 am »
Welcome to PA.What part of Iowa are you from?I live in southern central Iowa.I belong to the IBA[Iowa bow hunters Association.] and go to lots of 3D shoots with FG and self bow shooters who make their own equipment like me.Lots of fun.Always something to talk about.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Ranasp

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 06:40:18 pm »
I'm actually from New England, but for the past 10 years or so I've lived in Ames.  I got to go on my first deerhunt in Osceola, didn't get anything but a great story, which is good to get.  ;)  I haven't made anything myself except my arm guard and quiver, but I'm hoping to take the next few steps and make my own arrows and bow. 

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 05:45:50 am »
Hope you like the area there.That's a good start already with equipment.Osceola area is fine deer hunting country too.Sometime if you like contact me off line with a message or to my email.Not enough self bow shooters around me to suit me.....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed