Author Topic: Sandpaper improvement  (Read 1769 times)

Offline Tree_Ninja

• Clandestine Bow-ops
Sandpaper improvement
« on: August 28, 2015, 02:52:13 pm »
Hey All,

I learned something a couple days ago. Maybe I should have learned it in shop class...

I find the normal sandpaper just doesn't last. I plan to purchase some of the 3m super sand paper.

I just learned if you put duct tape on the back of he sandpaper it extends the life a whole lot.

I haven't tried it on belts but I imagine it would work....

Anyhow, put duct tape (or tuck) on the back of your sandpaper! You'll thank me!

(Just don't sand so hard you wear it past the paper. The duct tape adhesive might cause issues)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Re: Sandpaper improvement
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 03:10:48 pm »
Using duct tape makes HUGE diff in sandpaper sheet's longevity. My experience is that ya wear out the grit 1st.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 03:17:31 pm »
3M is great paper and will last longer. Its thicker, you'll feel that right away.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 04:27:28 pm »
Last time I got Norton Premium. It's real good too.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 09:49:27 pm »
Last time I got Norton Premium. It's real good too.

I got a load of Norton a few years ago when it was clearance sale stuff on a website.  I loaded up on about 400 sheets of everything from 80 grit thru 600 grit.  To finish a bow, I only use a quarter sheet of each grit. Period.  Many times I end up using the quarter sheet on several projects before it loses it's edge.  This stuff is tough like  Marine Corps military grade toilette paper!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 10:51:03 pm »
You puckered me so bad I gained about two inches in height. :laugh: :laugh:

Offline E. Jensen

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 12:08:07 am »
I'm a snob and don't use any sandpaper on my bows.  But when I was a knife maker I used enough for a lifetime.  You'd be amazed the benefits of 1) Cutting all sandpaper into ~1/2" strips 2) using a wood stick behind it.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2015, 11:27:30 am »
I like to use 3m 2" wide utility cloth that comes in large rolls.   The cloth backing makes it last MUCH longer than paper backed.  You can tear it off in whatever length you need.   You can also tear it length wise to get thin strips for getting in tight areas.  It's pricey, but a roll will last a very long time.  Down side is you need to buy a roll in each grit, I have 60, 80, 180, 240, and 320.